Update - I've got sprouts! Sewing Diva's asparagus

wvsheila

Leafing Out
Reaction score
please don"t give up mine are over 5 Years old and Just broke the ground 3 days ago . Im in zone 6 and usually I'm eating it by now so don't dig it up yet. (Mine is in clay also And it's been very wet clay this year)

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good . . . it is best to reserve hope for your plants. :D Most of the time they will surprise you with their resiliency.

You know, I gave up on the asparagus I started from seed last year and I finally gave in and ordered some crowns. Sure enough, now the ones I started from seed are coming up, but I have no where to plant them permanently! :p Well, I will find a place, but it won't be as great as the bed I dug for the crowns. :/

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You know what, I would hang in there for a few weeks at least. Mine aren't up yet, although last year there was plenty of feathery ferny growth and they did not have any standing water or anything of that nature. Mine are in clayey soil, but mixed with lots of composted cow poop and leaves, and I'm pretty confident that they are in there somewhere, just waiting--they're on a northern slope, so they stay cool longer. It rained yesterday to soften up the ground and we're coming into a stretch of warm weather. Patience might be the trick.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Update! We have sprouts! Two today poked their heads up!

I was just at my mother's, who was talking to a local woman who grows lots of asparagus, and she told her to tell me that I was jumping the gun, now is the start of asparagus season around here. Whew! So, let's see how many we get this season! :weee

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Update! We have sprouts! Two today poked their heads up!

I was just at my mother's, who was talking to a local woman who grows lots of asparagus, and she told her to tell me that I was jumping the gun, now is the start of asparagus season around here. Whew! So, let's see how many we get this season! :weee
Congrats! Isn't it a relief!

I nearly started poking mine today. The top of their dirt is all crunchy. I'm thinking once the predicted thunderstorms roll through, they'll all start poking their lazy heads up.

Hmm, maybe I should hang out some laundry to dry on the clothesline, or roll down the car windows. That always brings rain...

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got sprouts too!

firstasparagus.jpg

Four of them. And I could swear they were not there when I checked this morning.

Latest posts