Updated the flock!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have updated our flock recently and went for a variety of breeds instead of our usual black stars. This is the list of new chicks
1 barred rock
1 Rhode Island Red
1 Ancona
2 Delawares
1 partridge rock
1 Silver laced Wyandot
1 speckled Sussex
1 Blue andilution
And 3 Bronze turkeys

image.jpg
Here they are, how cute are they?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That age is about as cute as they get. In a few weeks they'll hit what I call the vulture stage, looking really scraggly as they partially feather out and learn to perch on my practice perch. Then a few weeks later they do fully feather out and look attractive again, not so much cute but certainly attractive.

I like that mix. It will make a pretty flock. Kind of looks like you may have been thinking of pretty when you ordered them.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are cute Collector! I like variety too, even though my current flock are pretty much the same. Are you raising the turkeys for yourselves and family, or are they all for your freezer?

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice choices, :thumbsup I've raised all of those varieties, you've got some great layers, and fun color. The Andalusian, and ancona are beautiful birds, pretty much feral in my experience, but beautiful. All my anconas give a large white egg a day.

I have to say barred rocks, Delawares, and speckled Sussex are the smartest and friendlies birds, when we help newbies we always tell them no flock is complete without the speckled Sussex, Delaware, barred rock, a red or black sex link ( a star is just as good), and an Easter egger. They are all friendly, beautiful,and all great layers. Sounds like you've got good chicken taste ;)

The wyandots, silver laced, gold laced, and red/blue laced were lots of fun. The partridge rocks are cool, but I think the barred rocks are smarter, and friendlier. I never liked the Rhode Island reds, I think they get more credit then they deserve.:idunno

Are the bronze turkeys broad breasted?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You were right to add that cuteness alert. I love those fluffy chicks at that age. Can't get enough of them. I like the idea of getting different varieties as well. My first dozen were only two breeds and hard to tell each bird apart.

Where did you get them? Most of the places I've checked required at least 5 of one variety. Last year, ny DIL's mother ordered a chicks for four people so we were able to get a good selection.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner, I agree this is the cutest they will ever be. DW wanted to have an interesting looking flock this time Instead of our usual Black stars that are great layers and easy to care for, but not very pleasing to the eye.

Thistle, Yes the turkeys are for the table. We paid $8.50 apiece for them on 4/26 we are gonna keep track of the feed bill and see how much it costs to raise them ourselves compared to store bought. I am sure it will cost more but will be much more high quality meat than you could buy at the store.

Wishin, thanks for the info on these breeds. I agree about the barred rocks they are one of my favorite breeds, my dad used to have them when we were young and they were great free ranging chickens. My grandmother used to swear by Rhode Island Reds it was all she would have in her flock. I did think they were ornery/ bossy old hens when I was a kid and had to collect the eggs. The turkeys are broad breasted, havnt raised turkeys before dont know what to expect from them.

Smart Red, We are happy to have a mix of breeds this time, usually we have only one breed at a time. We bought them at a Big R farm and ranch store in the Spokane Valley They had lots of breeds to choose from. We just picked one of each breed that we liked ,but no sex links, leghorns, polish, or bantams this go round.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great choices!!! Have you had s.sussex before? They're really great 'pet' birds. Very curious and friendly.
Such cute babies.
My 'chick-fever' is starting to kick into high gear......

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Speckled Sussex are the friendliest and nosiest birds in my flock. Also the one Black Copper Marans, but she hangs out with the Sussex, and I guess she thinks she is one.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new flock! I like to keep a large mix of different breeds, for different eggs color, different plumage, and hopefully, production.
This year I must get rid of some of the old flock that we said we would get rid of last year, in order to make room for chicks that will be hatching this week!
I'm trying some golden cuckoo Marans (if they hatch).

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a mixed flock too and I love all the different colors and patterns. It is like a bouquet of flowers scattered over the yard. I know you will enjoy all the different birds and their personalities. My first hens were Silver Laced Wyandottes, I think they are beautiful. I have one now and 6 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes (2 are Splash) 6 Red Stars, a couple Black Sex Links and Red Sex Links, and several mutts. Have fun with your flock!

Latest posts