Upside down tomatoes

jonesgirl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
It is one of the easiest things to grow IMO. One thing that several miss out on which helps is when the tomato is planted in the bottom plant beans of some type (I use asphragus green beans because they clim) in the top. Beans put nitrogen in the ground which aids the tomato plant. I grow them every year and they hang on the deck. It it covered by a "french trellus"(per the DW) so the beans have a place to climb to. Th generally only grow grape or silver dollar tomatoes to cut back on the weight. Once they start to produce i get fresh tomatoes to eat for lunch everyday that I picked that morning.
That is so awesome! So you think you could put any plant in the bottom, or would only a tomoato work? I could have my whole garden hanging from my front porch :coolsun

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm going to do my Tomatoes, Peppers, Cucumbers, and Cantaloupe in upside down planters. We have old clothesline posts that will be perfect. I will have to try the bean in the top thing, could be fun! I have been trying to downsize and compact a lot so my big vines have more room...the upside down buckets are prefect for that...oh and the 6" PVC on the fence!!! I hate weeding so hooray for shortcuts!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Not sure how you plan on getting those cantalope to work. The vine is not strong enough to "hang" and support the fruit. Will be interesting to see how the peppers fair. Keep us posted!

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
Not sure how you plan on getting those cantalope to work. The vine is not strong enough to "hang" and support the fruit. Will be interesting to see how the peppers fair. Keep us posted!
I am hoping that I can just make a hammock for each mellon as it grows heavier. They grow large 150 lb pumpkins on trellises at the Epcot Center and use nets to support them...

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
Grow 4 Food said:
I am hoping that I can just make a hammock for each mellon as it grows heavier. They grow large 150 lb pumpkins on trellises at the Epcot Center and use nets to support them...
What will you attach this "hammock" on to?

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
setter4 said:
sparkles2307 said:
Grow 4 Food said:
What will you attach this "hammock" on to?
Well, since my up-side-down planters will be hung on the T posts of our old clothesline, the hammocks can be attached to the post as well. I'm not going to have them spread out all over. I tried cantaloupe (accidentally) in my front flower bed last year and they climbed my porch and the melons that hung down were fine. I grow mini mellons so they only weigh 4-6 lbs finished off.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
In Square Ft. Gardening Mel B. says the stems will get larger because of the weight and be able to hold the fruit on a trellis. My concern with the upside down method is that the weight will pull the roots out of the pot.

Latest posts