USA Cottage Garden Ideas

andy guo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Cottage gardens appeal to the romantic in all of us. Their generous variety of plants growing together in a relatively small space speaks of bounty and life -- not to mention making for a perfectly manageable backyard garden project -- and the overall look reminds us of a simpler, gentler time.
As you explore the cottage garden ideas and assorted garden photos on the following pages, consider that the cottage garden design was also splendidly captured in the beautiful watercolors of the artist Helen Allingham; her pictures of roses growing around the doors of lovingly maintained thatched cottages and small flower gardens bursting with colorful blossoms are still part of our image of the ideal cottage garden today.

Cottage gardening is a wonderful way to manage many different plant types in a small backyard or other garden space, because the typical cottage garden displays annuals, perennials, herbs, shrubs, and vegetables -- all growing quite happily together with an effect of controlled chaos. With cottage gardening, even a rooftop garden or container garden in an urban setting can have the refreshing feel of the country.
cottage-garden-ideas-1.jpg

Cottage gardens that emphasize their regions' traditional styles of architecture and design have special charm. The flavor of the southeastern United States is caught in this front cottage garden with its elaborate wrought-iron balcony, beautiful as a black-lace mantilla. Azaleas in pink and white, rows of potted geraniums, and a windmill palm also grace the scene.
Looking to create a garden escape? The soothing, shady confines of a bowered garden may be just what you need to hide away. Continue to the next page to get inspired.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/cottage-garden-ideas.htm

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Looks like Savannah, Georgia which is where I will be visiting for the next 5 days. I love Savannah, plus I get to visit with my son. :celebrate:weee:ya

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cottage gardens seem to be more of an art than a science but I am going to try a rule-of-thumb for a cottage garden.

Just an idea and others can shoot it down or do whatever they like with it:

A cottage garden has a diverse selection of traditional, ornamental plants the majority of which are grown for their flowers and are taller than a 3-year-old.

Steve

andy guo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
CountryGirl said:
Looks like Savannah, Georgia which is where I will be visiting for the next 5 days. I love Savannah, plus I get to visit with my son. :celebrate:weee:ya
Congratulations,It is quite happy to see your son,wish happiness.

andy guo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Cottage gardens seem to be more of an art than a science but I am going to try a rule-of-thumb for a cottage garden.

Just an idea and others can shoot it down or do whatever they like with it:

A cottage garden has a diverse selection of traditional, ornamental plants the majority of which are grown for their flowers and are taller than a 3-year-old.

Steve
Just seek for what we like rather than what were afraid to do,I cant agree with you more.:D

MrsGreenThumb

Sprout
Reaction score
CountryGirl said:
That picture also reminds me of Savannah. My husband and I try to make it down there every year for the St. Patrick's Day parade. We sit in our outdoor Furniture and just watch the festivities. We have yet to make it to all of the historic places in the area, but we always go to the Mercer House. We like to take the tour and wonder how many millions of dollars the items in each room are worth.

The Juliette Gordon Low house is really neat too.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Latest posts