USDA Sued over approval of GMO Alfalfa

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So I'm a little behind on all this and just learning about GMO. And this is some seriously creepy stuff! I wish that this was gone over in my high school biology, it wasn't and High school was only 9 years ago for me! The more I research, the more it looks like a conspiracy, and the scarier it gets :(

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
aussieheelr said:
So I'm a little behind on all this and just learning about GMO. And this is some seriously creepy stuff! I wish that this was gone over in my high school biology, it wasn't and High school was only 9 years ago for me! The more I research, the more it looks like a conspiracy, and the scarier it gets :(
Honestly, its not scary like that. Quite seriously, it started with simple hybrids and crossing breeds. Over the years we know there had been a lot of messing with DNA in plants and animals. Its still so knew, that we don't know the enviromental consequences for these actions yet. A few test for a few years in a controled enviroment isn't enough to know what is really going to come of all this playing with natural.

The worse of it is the chemicals and poisons they've put into the plants that we don't know how they are going to react to the human body over time. It could take 20 years for cancer cells to form, or a breakdown of a liver for all we know. The tests are done by Monsanto and they have not released publicly what those tests entail. The USDA is taking their word on everything, and aren't requiring further testing.

So what it looks and tastes like corn... it may feed me for a few meals, but what will happen to me or my family when we're ready to retire... or 3 generations down the road?

vnsseed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
While I totally disagree with Monsanto and what they are doing, IMO they are just the GMO/terminator seed scapegoat and the .gov is enabling this to happen. If everyone was properly educated on the ramifications of GMO's, etc. then the majority wouldn't consume the products and Monsanto would be out of business. I can't help but wonder what the test reports that Monsanto has say about long term effects of the Chemicals such as Roundup. Here is an interesting article:

http://www.safelawns.org/blog/index.php/2011/02/roundup-the-hidden-factors-of-a-lethal-poison/

As members of society who are gardeners/farmers/homesteaders we have an obligation to educate the public as to the dangers of GMO/Terminator seeds/chemicals in our food supply.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My issue with the gov now, is that ex Monsanto corporate employees are now in the USDA. Its a two way street. They place lobbyists there for a reason. They send money, the usda sends approvals... the people in the way of the bus get run over, and then get gmo produce shoved up their noses... and we pay their salaries!!! (We just don't line their pockets with as much gold as monsanto does.)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are there companies that break the laws in Ag? YES. Starlink technology was one of them and it cost the Garst family the seed business as the fines put them under (and rightfully so). Another company as in article from Hattie did the same thing, they didn't follow protocol and it cost them.

What are GMO's. They are crystaline proteins (that we are already eating in other natural foods) that are inserted w/Ag bacteria through use of virus that won't break down in a specific pest. All of these crystaline proteins are completely safe to animals/humans as we've been eating them since the creation of the world.

People keep making these statements that we are using GMO's to use high rates of pesticides. The opposite is what is true. In talking w/fertilizer dealer yesterday, we were mentioning how we use to use pounds of different products per acre with half lives of 6 months and now we're down to oz's with no half life.

Are there companies making money because of this, of course. No profits, no jobs, no research, people go hungry. deal with it.

Don't like GMO's? NO PROBLEM. Pay more so that those producing them can stay in business. Go buy some land, do it yourself. A lot of good options out there to avail yourself to.

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Herbicides, not necessarily pesticides. Same difference in this venue as both are poisonous.

There are many, many substances that are safe in their natural form and in minute amounts but that become very dangerous in forms that are not naturally occurring and in larger amounts than our bodies can process through our detoxification systems.

Spinach is good for you. Too much raw spinach in the diet can lead to kidney stones. Not everything that is safe in small amounts is safe in larger amounts.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Herbicides, not necessarily pesticides. Same difference in this venue as both are poisonous.

There are many, many substances that are safe in their natural form and in minute amounts but that become very dangerous in forms that are not naturally occurring and in larger amounts than our bodies can process through our detoxification systems.

Spinach is good for you. Too much raw spinach in the diet can lead to kidney stones. Not everything that is safe in small amounts is safe in larger amounts.
Pesticides are either an insecticide or a herbicide. We are already digesting these proteins in our system. They are harmless to mammels & all but a few insects, designed to kill European corn borer or root worm larvae-depending if it's Bt or RW gene. Because of GMO's farmers are now seeing earthworms thriving--yes, we do watch and see how our environments change as we make changes.

Curious, how much spinache does an average American have to eat to obtain kidney stones from spinache diet? So do we outlaw spinache? Since it's a health issue?

Latest posts