Use a Pressure Cooker?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let me ask a dumb question. The idea of a pressure cooker is to be able to cook things fast. If a person doesn't have this need, wouldn't a crock pot work just as well?

@steve, what kind of pan do you use for your stir fries?

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know much about crockpots. Even our slow cookers don't get a lot of use. Beef in them, twice in December including the Christmas roast ... Just a skillet is best for our stir-fries, Mary.

I think Americans went a little too far afield with the woks. We are cooking on a flat surface whereas a wok isn't really made for that. We have a pan of about the right shape. It isn't small but veggies are "bulky" and it is only really useful for dinner for one. BTW, DW doesn't like the weight of large cast iron pans and those skillets are also on basement shelves.

I'm trying not to use very much oil or fat so it may take more attention with a wide, flat skillet but the veggies cook so quickly that I can't get away from them and never get in trouble ... says here :).

Steve

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Also one of the advantages is speed, but those who use them notice: things cook differently, more thoroughly, the consistency and color of carrots become somewhat like mushroom and the taste can can become more like meat if that is and ingredient.

If, someone has no need or interest of course, then~

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Also one of the advantages is speed, but those who use them notice: things cook differently, more thoroughly, the consistency and color of carrots become somewhat like mushroom and the taste can can become more like meat if that is and ingredient.

If, someone has no need or interest of course, then~
Is this the pressure cooker or crock pot you are talking about?

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I find there is a difference in flavor. Two things I have found is that dried beans will not be gassy if pressure cooked (I'm assuming the higher heat destroys an enzyme or something) and venison will taste just as savory as beef to the point that people can't really tell the difference if you put it in a stew. There are something things I don't like the flavor of cooked under pressure. To me, carrots will have an off taste compared to cooking them on the stove-top or in a crockpot.

Another advantage pressure cooking has is that it is more effective at tenderizing tougher cuts of meat. An old rooster or hen will be fall-off-the-bone tender cooked this way.

The thorough, even cooking and texture would be due to the heat being completely and evenly distributed inside the pot, whereas stove-top is very uneven. My glass cook top drives me nuts because the pans heat so unevenly. I'd love to have a gas stove, if we could get natural gas service out here (not sure I'd want to deal with filling a propane tank.) At least the cook top is easy to clean!

The pressure cooker is good for cooking things quicker. The crockpot is definitely for those who excel at planning ahead. ;)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Journey. I have a crock pot and no pressure cooker. Since I work from home, it's easy for me to throw stuff in the crock pot and have dinner ready by the time I come home from the gym. I am a planner though. ;) I was just wandering if a pressure cooker was better for me but it sounds like I'm fine just the way I am. :D

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 , this house came with an electric stove, and I finally killed it after 10 or 11 years. I replaced it with a gas stove which I love. We already had propane service for the dryer and the now removed propane fireplace so we didn't have to go through any extra steps there. DH just tee'd into the already existing gas pipe to connect the stove.
In a power failure I can still cook, and with the woodstove the house stays heated.
Just my opinion, but I think gas does a much better job than electric.

Latest posts