Useful Flowers

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow, you had a pile of YUCCA the size of a VW in n. Idaho thistlebloom?? I thought since i drug the thing so far north (picked it up from MIL's garden in s. Idaho) that was why it wasnt doing good. Sounds like i was fortuitously LUCKY its barely alive! I dont know what my fascination with the thing is, i mean REALLY i've never babied any other plant for so long!! If they dont do well normally i just huck them on the compost heap! Actually, now i recall, this thing WAS on the compost heap for a while and i dug it back out!!

Every spring it looks just ATROCIOUS, for like ever. But you're all making me nervous, cause i just moved it, to a more sheltered spot by the house...right along a walkway. Now i'm afraid it will take off and i'll be stuck with itin a bad location!! Well, we'll see if it makes it thru the winter...

Now that i think about it, i've been babying this nasty pincushion thing for like, 6 years!!! What is wrong with me?! I think i like it cause it's so troublesome and prickly :D

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, no Heather, that was in San Diego county...I've happily only seen them here in nurseries, where I give them a wide berth...:)
I don't think you need to worry about it taking over up here. You can huck your pink bee balm this way btw ;) .

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:lol:

I need my own program "hi. I'm heather. I love my yucca waaaaaay too much. And HATE pink bee balm."
:barnie

I am reassured about the yucca. It's been perking up lately, i thought it was about to take over the world!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nastursium and Borage are edible and pretty and attract pollinators

Tansy, pansy, marigold, tobbacco pest repellent (tansy and pansy reputed to repel squashbugs and you can make tea from their leaves as a homemade bug repellent for plants) marigold reputed to help w/ nematodes, but it needs to be the punjent variety (mexican is one) tobbacco you can also make a bug killing/repellent tea from.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Kassaundra said:
Nastursium and Borage are edible and pretty and attract pollinators

Tansy, pansy, marigold, tobbacco pest repellent (tansy and pansy reputed to repel squashbugs and you can make tea from their leaves as a homemade bug repellent for plants) marigold reputed to help w/ nematodes, but it needs to be the punjent variety (mexican is one) tobbacco you can also make a bug killing/repellent tea from.
be careful with tobbacco they carry a wilt that can transfer to tomatoes

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks I didn't know that.

Oh and I forgot 4 O'clocks, they kill japanese beetles dead, but they are also toxic to humans and pets.

Latest posts