Useful Lint

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We mainly use the fireplace in the winter for our heat. A few years ago I learned of a way to utilize the lint from our dryer. Since we no longer have a dryer we get some from the local laundromat. Add a paper egg carton and some parafin and you have your very own fire starters!

First you start melting the parafin.
IMG_2697.jpg

While the parafin is melting you get your egg carton ready. I line the cookie sheet with wax paper because the egg carton will become saturated and stick to the cookie sheet. This just makes clean-up easier. Anyway, stuff each hole with as much lint as you can get in there. The more lint, the longer it burns....

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

Next it's time to fill with the melted parafin. You want to fill each one almost to the point of overflowing.

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

Then you let them set overnight or stick them outside for a few hours to harden. This is what your finished product looks like.

IMG_2703.jpg

You just break one off, put in your fireplace (it really IS in there!), and TADA!

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey that's a neat idea. Great pics. My friends use a wood stove in the winter....I'll have to tell them about this.

How long do they burn on average?

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think this is a fabulous way to save money on those firestarter things. Thanks!!

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
cool!

i use a wad of newspaper and a splinter of lighter wood that is laying all around in the pasture. (not cow dung, i'm talking about an actual piece of wood).

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is a great idea!

I will try this. I am getting ready to move my wood burning sTove back in my sunroom. I take it out each spring for more room plus I don't need it for very long.

This year I hope to heat most of the house with the stove.

Joe

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
On average they will burn about 15 minutes, possibly more if you can really stuff the lint in there. And parafin is relatively cheap - I think only a couple bucks for a block that will make 12-18 starters. And I usually only use 1 starter. :)

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
beefy said:
cool!

i use a wad of newspaper and a splinter of lighter wood that is laying all around in the pasture. (not cow dung, i'm talking about an actual piece of wood).
That's the nice thing about these starters - you don't have to go wandering around looking for little splinters of wood. :) And when it's cold outside, 5 in the morning and the fire has died out let me tell you I really appreciate not having to go hunt for starter stuff ;)

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
we have a huge pile gathered from old tree roots. i just pick up a piece whenever i bring in wood. i think its awesome youf ound a use for lint tho.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very clever idea. We heat our 1600 sq ft home entirely with our wood furnace which is connected to the duct work. I bought those fire starter blocks one year and even broke them into 4ths, but still felt they cost more than I wanted to spend.

I use junk mail and newspaper now and save all my pruning scraps for kindling (apple tree wood generates a lot of BTUs).

These lint starters would be very handy to have around!

Latest posts