Useful Lint

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
This IS a clever idea. We've been making them and camping with them for years, but our recipe has a variation. We use pine shavings--have lots on hand because of all of our critters. I go the extra "recycling" mile, and clean out all leftover candle wax from whatever I burned them in. I warm the candle-holder (if it's not metal) in the microwave for about a minute, then take a knife and loosen the leftover candle wax. I collect these by storing them in an old 3 pound coffee can with a lid, in my tool shed. I also save cardboard egg cartons. When I have enough wax, I stoke up my in-ground, charcoal grill, put the can on top to melt the wax, fill the egg spots with the shavings, then pour and cool. They store for literally Y E A R S. And, yes, they DO start your fire outside in the rain. I'll have to remember to also save up some dryer lint, too. Thanks for the new idea. :D

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Great photos and idea to share, BDR!

We never went camping without these in the supply box! I believe our tent was a thunderstorm magnet! ...:hide
They were worth their weight in gold. Also use them in the fire place.

We make them a bit different also. We stuff lint in halved toilet paper rolls, tie yarn or string around them and dip in the melted wax, then set on wax paper to cool.

Latest posts