Uses for Lemons?

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well there's quite a few uses for them obviously! But I want to make lemonade and reduce my waste afterwards. I've got in mind to first grate for zest then juice them, but any ideas for what can I do afterwards with them? Thank you!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My mom used to cut them in 1/4s, throw them into the disposal and grind them up to freshen up the sink!
I like to use lemons for grilled shrimp scampi and also to squeeze into cocktails. A super refreshing cocktail is simply plain club soda, half a lemon squeezed, and a couple shots of vodka.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is more of a summer thing, but I use a lot of lemon zest in horatiki (Greek tomato salad). You get some good (preferable heirloom) tomatoes ( this is why I said summer, but there ARE supermarkets that carry heirlooms in the winter). slice them, add slices of cucumber, bell pepper (traditionally, I don't add them to mine) olives (again, I don't most people do) and feta. Add the zest and juice of one lemon (I recommend investing in a microplane zester, it does an excellent job of getting all of the zest off without any of the bitter pith) good olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano/thyme (dried will work, as will frest ordinary, but I usually keep a pot of Cuban Oregano/Spanish Thyme (Plectranthus ambioticus) for this purpose, since the fact it is a succulent means you basically get oregano flavored juice, salt and black pepper. Letting it sit a while to pickle itself improves the flavor.

If you have a LOT of lemons (or as you said, you want to find some way to use the squeezed lemons after you make the lemonade. you can use the zest to make lemon extract. Just let the zest soak for a few weeks in vodka, the higher proof the better (I use Devil's Springs, which is 160 proof) and then filter. The extract basically keeps forever in a sealed bottle.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yum! Mary, would you share your sourdough recipe? It sounds amazing! 😊
It make it easier for you just take your basic tried and true sourdough recipe.

Your sourdough recipe
120g chopped olives
40g parmesan grated cheese
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
zest of 1 lemon.

Add the above at any stage of your method. I add mine on my 4th stretch and folds.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
eek! another mint! Cuban Oregano/Spanish Thyme (Plectranthus ambioticus) @Pulsegleaner do you keep it indoors in a pot to grow? i have zero interest in letting another mint arrive here without thinking it might just be an indoor plant only as that is really about the only way i'd consider growing it.

Latest posts