Using 2,4-d Amine weed killer, need mix amount for sweet corn

hinkjc

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi, I know i don't post much here but have a question if anybody knows the answer..help please

Like to know if anybody has the right mix on this stuff, want to make a 2 gallon mix of this using two gallons of water, how much would i add of the 2,4-d Amine .. will be used around sweet corn..

2,4-d Amine BROADLEAF WEED CONTROL

No time for weeding by hand this year, have 4 corn plots each about 25' by 100'

Thanks

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Usually there are directions on the bottle - I'd go with them. If you can't find them, then contact the manufacturer. Other than that I have no clue - I have never used anything like it.

hinkjc

Sprout
Reaction score
There are direction on the bottle but i really don't understand them. Mixes are in large amounts...

hoping somebody else used this stuff and has a better understanding of the direction than we do.. only need to mix like 2 gallons at a time as our sprayer is a small hand held unit..

We've never used weed killer but with not much time to spend pulling weeds this year, we are going this rout.. got a few weeks before we need to spray so we have time to figure this all out..

Thanks

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd use about 1/4 of a cup/2 gal. When you spray, spray low, keep off of corn as best as you can. If you have grasses in your corn, 2-4D will be worthless. It's only good on thistles and some broadleafs.

If you want a complete kill, go see a fertilizer plant on a SLOW day (after a big rain), beg them to make you a mix up that you can use. Take a 1/2 gallon or gallon milk container with you so that they have something to mix it in. Don't expect it to be cheap as they are doing you a favor.

Again, with a hand sprayer, no reason to get much (except for drift) on the sweet corn.

hinkjc

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi seedcorn, yes they say it will brittle or make the corn dizzy/droopy for a short spell when getting it on it.

I found 2-3 tbs for 2 gals of water..

Also found 2 oz to a gal water.

This stuff should work because we mainly have alot of pig weed type weeds that take over if not weeded. When they get ahold the battle has been lost.. 2,4-d Amine should do the trick this year...hoping anyway

Thanks

boblangdon

Sprout
Reaction score
hinkjc said:
No time for weeding by hand this year, have 4 corn plots each about 25' by 100'
That's less than 1/4 acre.
???
Why not just hoe it, or better yet, take the Mantis (cultivator) to it. It wouldn't take you much longer than spraying would.

My experience with 2,4-d on sweet corn is that you'll lose a couple of weeks growth time and a good wind will completely destroy your crop (it gets pretty windy around here). Some varieties of corn will not tolerate Amine at all.

I wouldn't spray a tiny little plot of corn like that. Run a Mantis between the rows, cultivating and thinning at the same time. I wouldn't think it would take you more 20 minutes.

If you must spray, use about 1 to 1-1/2 oz of 2,4-d per gallon of water.
DO NOT add crop oil.
And make sure there's NO BREEZE. Otherwise you'll end up killing something you don't want to. (and your wife will get really p*ss*d at you).
;-)

Latest posts