Using a Small Wading Pool for a Garden?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
For what it's worth - I put one of those turtle kiddy pool/sandbox things in my chicken coop to use as a sand/dust bath. I drilled dozens of holes in the bottom. It still holds water - LOTS and lots of water.
When you drill holes - use one of those bits made for making holes that pipes or door knobs will go through. Little holes will clog with the dirt/sand and be useless for drainage.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have 2 pools that got holes after the dogs were finished with them. the holes from the dogs were enough and I have yellow squash in one and zucchini in the other. they may not last very long but they will have served their purpose. I have several 5 gallon buckets, 3 with sweet peas, 5 with Sweet potatoes, 2 with yukon gold potatoes, 4 storage bins (got at Goodwill for 1$) with carrots, and beans. If it will hold dirt i fill it and plant something in it!!! I have chickens and I also plant the bags with potatoes, start early so that I can have potatoes over a longer period!! works great and when they are done, I just dump everything in to the raised beds with some chicken manure and prepare for winter.
Good luck

Armchairhomesteader

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My yard has a large concrete slab where an old house used to be. Rather than give up the space I bought 5 4’ wide pools from a nearby Kmart that went out at the end of 2011. I filled them with free compost from a landscape company, and set them on wooden pallets and some plastic crates to help their drainage. I haven’t gotten much from them this year. The winter weather was awful with too many dark, cloudy days. But I am hoping I can at least salvage a carrot crop.