Using Eggshells

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So my tomatoes are now showing signs of calcium deficiency. I have been reading to use eggshells are the base of the plant. My question is can I use the shells from hatched chicks? Is there still calcium in those or do I have to use shells from eggs I didn't hatch?

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem with using them.

Although your tomatoes may not show a calcium deficiency it is always good to add a few throughout the growing season to be sure that they have enough. Calcium helps prevent against cat-facing as well as many other issues that come up with fruit development.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, so many of us have chickens and a ready supply of Oyster shell that I thought it might work.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
well, but if you've got chickens and oystershell then most likely you have eggshell too and unlike oystershell it is FREE ;)

Shells from hatched chicks should work just fine.

Pat

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
well, but if you've got chickens and oystershell then most likely you have eggshell too and unlike oystershell it is FREE ;)

Shells from hatched chicks should work just fine.

Pat
LOL, I have seen that term used a lot when referring to chicken by-products (manure, eggs, etc). I pay $12 a bag for lay pellet and $9 a bag for hen scratch. I go thru 3 bags of pellet and 1 bag hen scratch a week. I can't exactly agree with the whole "free" concept.....

But if I had known to use eggshells in the garden I would have had PLENTY from all the chicks I've hatched this year.... :)

Latest posts