Using indoor lighting systems for plants.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there,

I cannot ever stop growing plants so I grow indoors over the winter. I used to find myself chasing the sun from the east side windows to the south side windows every winter. LOL So I moved to using fluorescent lighting. I discovered some interesting things.

I wanted to explain what I do as far as lighting for plants.

Right now I use the new CFL (compact fluorescent bulbs), the ones that are twisted loops of glass.

I used to use the long tube fluorescent bulbs, but my seedlings became leggy. Unless I nearly touched the plants from one inch to the tops they never grew like outdoors. It was frustrating because I could not get them to bush out but rather stay thin and long. I added several long grow lights that were labeled specifically for growing; terrible results, nothing at all like growing in the real sun. Then I began reading more and more about lighting and plants and discovered that it is the level of Lumens that the plants require.

In order to grow a plant just as healthy and thick and vibrant as under our real sun, a plant requires at least 2000 lumens. Lumens are the expression of the amount of light from one candle flame.

I found that the 150 watt version (equivolent) puts out 2400 lumens and only uses 40 watts of electrical power. Seriously! I must say I was completely shocked. My long tube fluorescent bulbs only produce 700 lumens per bulb, and two of them is still not enough to grow a single plant to maturity.

There have been several references on youtube and over the internet that these new CFL bulbs are dangerous because they contain Mercury. I just say be very careful with them. They are no different than the long tube fluorescent bulbs as far as Mercury is concerned. Use common sense with them and one bulb will last for over 5 years.

Again, I really cannot tell you how completely different my plants are under 2400 lumens, and I have subsequently stepped up my lumen range to 3800 lumens. Awesome. My electrical bill is no different than running other household lighting, of course, all my bulbs have now been converted over to CFL bulbs. Ideally plants can now sit in my darker corners and survive off of my household lights.

Take care, Ron

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That is interesting. I always thought you wanted as wide of a spectrum as possible. Higher lumens does make sense as well though.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi 1acre,

There are other factors, but when dealing with a CFL, it is putting off both the red spectrum and the blue but in different quantities. I believe a more white spectrum helps in flowering.

To get the best a HPS (HighPowered Sodium) light would be used; but the energy efficiency is not nearly as good. Both the costs of bulbs, the housings, and the electricity; this is why I lean towards the CFLs, plus they are not as heat producing as the HPS systems.

Go out and get yourself a $9 150 watt CFL with 2400 lumens and I bet you can watch your plants grow everytime you turn around.

I guess I am cheap LOL,

Take Care, Ron

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You're not cheap, you're using energy efficiently-- which makes more sense when you're trying to grow fresh food-- not use more energy than needed.

You've got my wheels spinning....... I need to figure out some sort of lighting for my newly planted seeds, and I think this will work. I've already got the bulbs, and I've got some clamp on lamps that I use for my chick brooder!!! Yup.. this will work! Thanks for the great ideas!

Greensage45 said:
Hi 1acre,

There are other factors, but when dealing with a CFL, it is putting off both the red spectrum and the blue but in different quantities. I believe a more white spectrum helps in flowering.

To get the best a HPS (HighPowered Sodium) light would be used; but the energy efficiency is not nearly as good. Both the costs of bulbs, the housings, and the electricity; this is why I lean towards the CFLs, plus they are not as heat producing as the HPS systems.

Go out and get yourself a $9 150 watt CFL with 2400 lumens and I bet you can watch your plants grow everytime you turn around.

I guess I am cheap LOL,

Take Care, Ron

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have to definitely go buy a bigger cfl. Does it have to be a big cfl or would multiple small ones work? Say using 5-6 100 watt equivalent ones to cover a larger area.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes,

each additional set of lumens adds to the overall concentration. Sadly the bulbs themselves do not state what the lumens are, but the packaging does when you buy a new bulb.

Ron

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Trailing along behind, learning new things in every thread.

Our house is very dark, so I've never tried much inside, and would like to have some green in this cave!

When using the lights for growing, do they need to be on 24/7, or do you turn them off at night?

Thanks in advance, Sal.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Sal,

For vegetative growth (lots of leaf) I go with 18/6. For flowering I go for 12/12.

For lighting the house and adding plants I would set up a timer at each lamp. This way you can set it and not have to think about turning it on or off. Everyday it will just function without you and your plants will thrive.

Take care, Ron

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I added several long grow lights that were labeled specifically for growing; terrible results,
OMG I was having the same problem!!!!

I feel stupid now because I did some Lumen research a while back and how it tied to depression. I never knew my leggy plants had the same issue!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting this.

wyoweed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure this out also. I have 2 saltwater tanks that have corals and algae in them. Saltwater uses lumens and spectrum. ! tank has VHO lights and one has metal Halides. Both have actinic bulbs also attached. More of the blue wave length that the corals need. So I guess what I'm getting at is this.
Would the indoor plants also need the same type wave lengths? Or would I be over thinking this and making it more complicated than it needs to be?
I have the opportunity to buy a MH light system. I will assume this would be more than enough to start my garden plants.

Latest posts