Using straw on the BOTTOM of raised beds

BlackThumb

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Over the next year, I am going to double my garden size by adding ten more raised beds. At 8", the beds I have currently are just too shallow. I want them at least 18 and possibly 24" deep. I have arthritis in my back and it's just killing me to bend for weeding, harvest, etc.

Since I garden in my back yard, there is not a lot of extra soil, and I would have to buy it by the truck load ($$) and then shovel it into a wheelbarrow and then into the beds, and that's a bit more than I can do physically.

However, I can buy and have delivered large bales of straw for $5 a bale.

What I was thinking of doing was putting a bale or so of straw in each 5'x10'x18" raised bed, spreading it out, maybe a foot thick, and then adding the dirt. The weight of the dirt would collapse the straw, but I am not sure how much. Over time, it would compost down and I would add more compost and more dirt on top, maybe even mulch with straw to start another lasagna.

I know straw has fewer seeds, but probably still has a few.

What are the drawbacks of this idea?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might consider leaving the straw baled and lay it with the cut side facing upward. It would hold up longer that way. It will break down eventually and the earth worms love it. It holds lots of moisture. Roots could penetrate it with the cut side upward. That would get you up an additional 18" or so off the ground. Just my attempt to help you brainstorm. :D

BlackThumb

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Appreciate it ! Thanks. The reason I considered breaking it up is that I am an older woman and have no help lifting and carrying. I think you are right, but I don't know how I would get the bales in the beds.

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea either way. Know what you mean about that bending, as I'm no spring chicken, either. If you gotta have it delivered anyway, maybe you could slip an extra dollar or two to the guy to put them directly where you need them.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't done it so I have no experience with that, so I'm just throwing out ideas.

Will the straw build up a lot of heat as it composts? Is it enough to cause problems for things growing above it, maybe cook roots if they try to grow down into it, or will it just add some heat and help the crop grow? Maybe put the straw in, let it heat up but don't plant in it until it cools back down? I don't know.

The wheat straw I get has viable seeds in it, not nearly as many seeds as hay, but still several. I find if I pull them soon after they sprout it is not a big deal. They come up easily. If I let the root system get established, it is pulling grass. Maybe if they are buried deep enough, the seeds will rot instead of sprout?

Do you have chickens? I put a bale of wheat straw in the run, just removing the baling wire. Within a day, they have scratched it all apart, eating some of the seeds and threshing the rest so you don't have nearly as many seeds to deal with. With them tearing the flakes apart, it is easier for me to use as mulch. In your case, if you are burying it, the flakes would be just as good as having it all scratched apart, but it might make it easier for you to handle if you could get it delivered into your chicken run. My run is dirt so it makes it easy to rake it up. And don't do this if the bale has been wet. The straw will start to mildew and mold, which is dangerous for the chickens.

I don't know how your raised beds are made or what your climate is. I'd think if the straw were compressed down, it would hold moisture well. If it is not compressed enough and the air can get to the straw portion and have good circulation, would it possible dry out, dehydrating your crop? I have to water my compost heap and cover it during the hot dry spells to keep it from drying out. Possibly not a concern for you but I'll just mention it as brainstorming.

Id expect the straw to really compress as it composts. How much depends on how thick the straw is and how much it initially compacts. I think your height gains will be temporary and probably pretty small over any length of time. I find the worst part of bending over and working low is during weeding, especially early on. If you can get the height during planting and early weeding it may be worth it to you, but if you have top wait until it heats up then cools down, you may not get much benefit.

Instead of straw, what do people think about using wood chips? Not wood shavings, those are expensive if you buy a lot, but wood chips. Theyd still heat up and shrink in size as they compost, but I think they might last longer. Sometimes you can get them free or pretty inexpensively from your municipality or maybe a utility company. The wood chips would use up some available nitrogen to aid in composting, but I think the straw would too. Im never sure if straw is high carbon or if it has some nitrogen with it. I think high carbon. Maybe Boggy or someone else that knows can help with this thought and how to manage it if it is a concern?

Good luck! Hope somebody comes up with ideas and suggestions that work for you.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is an official name for gardening in straw bales. I can't remember it... But, you basically leave the bale intact, add a little dirt inside a dug out area and plant. If you google it, I am sure you will find info. It is hard for me to move hay bales, too. If they are good bales and not years old (like the ones I got) you might be able to move them around by turning them up on end, and flipping them over and over- if you know what I mean... Then, you don't actually have to lift them. Good luck!

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you have any neighborhood kids that you could "hire" to move the dirt and fill the boxes.

Oh, wait a minute.....My brain's stuck in the past, when kids would, actually, jump at the chance to make a few extra bucks.

If I lived close to ya....I'd help you get it done...for free.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Straw compost is a very good growing medium but remember that straw contains just about no nitrogen. In the early stages you will have to supply it with quite a bit of nitrogen in the way of blood meal or some other high nitrogen source. The good part is that it only borrows the nitrogen for decay in the early stages. Later on you get it back in the form of compost.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. The straw I just got is baled in flakes like hay, so you could certainly lay those down like 'tiles' in the bottom of the raised bed and then add dirt on top.

Leaving the entire bale together would also work if you can get someone to put them inside the beds and then cut the string and pull it out.

I would not fluff it up and spread it around, that's not going to give you as much height.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We bartered for 100 bales of straw for our garden this year, we also tried doing some raised beds for our first time. Unfortunately. my straw was very seedy.. I think thats why I got such a good "deal". The straw I use for mulch spouted like crazy, and had to have all those sprouts, grasses etc, be pulled. My son in law actually tilled in some of it in the rows to"loosen the dirt.. that was like planting grass. My suggestion would be like someone else said, fill the bottom of your bed with full bales, then lay a thick layer of wet black and white pages of newspaper over the bales, then add your gardening soil mix -what ever you use. I think that would solve most problems, I did that in one of my beds, and no severe settling or any other problems so far.
I have fybromyalgia, my hubby has parkinsons, gardening has always been a wonderful joy to both of us, so those raised beds are just what we needed. cleanest -easiest to tend-strawberry beds in my whole life. love them, love them ,love them..........

Latest posts