Using straw on the BOTTOM of raised beds

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Planting directly into a bale is an old tried and true method of growing melons and cukes but you have to prepare the bale first so that it is starting to decay when you plant the seeds. It's best to Winter the bale out in the weather for a couple of months.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I put in 3 new raised beds last year. To fill them up I separated bales of straw and did just what you suggested. I laid the chaffs across the bottom. I think they took up the lower 6 inches. Then I added store bought mulch and composted horse manure. It did just fine.

This year the straw had decomposed a bit and I added more manure and mulch. So far so good.

I have seen lots of things used in the bottom of raised beds to fill up the space. Even 2 litre soda bottles. Not something I would do personally but I saw it somewhere.

I think I had more problems with the horse manure sprouting than the straw.

Just my .02

gina

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
this is a great idea! I have some hay left from covering the beds. the other day while dropping my daughter off at school i spotted an old oak hope chest. it was sitting on the side of the road, lid is missing but it will be great in the garden as a pre-made raised bed. but man it will take alot of dirt! ill just fill the bottom with hay! so perfect. i never thought about that before. thanks for the idea. now ill get to that this week. :tools

stano40

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
For those who have chickens if using their waste mixture of hay/chicken poop would be too much as a fill below a layer of soil to act as a fertilizer.

bob

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use poopy duck straw, but it doesn't seem to be as "hot" as chicken waste. I bet it you have a thick enough layer of soil on top it would be fine.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If you can DON'T buy the beautiful straw used for animal bedding. It is more expensive. Opt, instead for straw that has been rained on. It is cheaper, you can immediately break open the bales and do as is suggested above, and it's already started to decompose. Oat straw will grow oats, so avoid it. Wheat or Rice straw is better.
If you can prep for next year's garden early, buy straw from the grocery stores in October, after Halloween, when they have problems selling it from their displays. Definitely shop around--$5/bale is overpriced.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just glancing over the post...

I swear by raised bed (square foot) gardening, initially not by bad back, but by bad soil and laziness.

Now I can join the bad back club!:/

See my post-I am a complete cheerleader of this form of gardening.

That said, the bottoms of my raised SFG are linseed treated wood, and although this helps, it would seem straw would hasten the mortality of my garden.

Just my 2 cents.:)

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Straw compost is a very good growing medium but remember that straw contains just about no nitrogen. In the early stages you will have to supply it with quite a bit of nitrogen in the way of blood meal or some other high nitrogen source. The good part is that it only borrows the nitrogen for decay in the early stages. Later on you get it back in the form of compost.
Please used liquid bloodmeal not powdered. You can look up on Wikipedia "Deadly Feasts" and then look up "Blood meal". Be aware of what and how you use this product. :old The powder when used goes right up your nose and straight to the brain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Rhodes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_meal

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Whew! Never thought about getting mad cow disease from it. Will carefully dilute the rest of mine. It does help repel deer, although other critters have ripped open my bags in the barn to eat it. Thanks.

Latest posts