Vaccinium corymbosum Jersey Blueberry

SoccerMomof7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought a couple from michigan bulb and I am not sure if this will come up every year or will it die at the end of the season and not come back? I am trying to figure out exactly where I want to put it and I need to know if it's permandent. Thanks

papadekaitlyn

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is a blueberry bush so it is a perrenial. It is used for agricultural blueberry production, so it must make a lot of berries.

Prune it every year and it will produce more berries! :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In theory it is permanent. In practice, if you got it from a discount outlet, or if you plant it in somewhere with non-acidic non-moistureretentive or soggy soil, or if you live in the North and it's exposed to harsh winter winds, it will probably not be back, or not very.

If you only just planted it this year, it may not produce much if any fruit (unless it was in heavy flower when you planted it).

They're nice plants, but it's defiintely worth looking up their needs and requirements because they're not the sort of thing that can go just anywhere.

Good luck,

Pat

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am in zone 7 and have two Jersey blueberries as well as 6 other var. They are now 8yrs old and still produce well. I prune out all dead wood and try to keep it pruned like a small tree (having most of the foliage from hip to head high). It is easy picking the berries and keeps them healthy.

SoccerMomof7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well mine is very small, I ordered 4 from michigan bulb. I have them in 1 gallon flower pots right now. When they out grow them I will figure out where to put them. Hopefully I can keep them in there this summer so I can take them inside this winter. Maybe they will handle kansas winter better if they are a bit bigger.

Latest posts