Varieties hard to find, but DREAM of getting

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
6460_mexicandogwoodcloseup.jpg

6460_mexicandogwood.jpg

I absolutely covet the Mexican Flowering Dogwood. Five of the seeds sold on ebay a year or so ago for over $100. It's only native to a couple of fairly remote locations in Mexico.

I have been searching for FOREVER for the Saticoy melon seeds, which used to be the well known cantaloupe in the area where I grew up in the midwest. Nothing else tastes the same. I recently discovered that they aren't actually a cantaloupe, but a hybrid between a cantaloupe and another melon, although I don't know which one.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:ep

I have not even seen the word SATICOY in many decades! :oldYes! There used to be varieties of SEVERAL vegetables called that. I'll try to look it up!

:old

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nitty gritty, I searched, and apparently this place

http://www.underwoodfamilyfarms.com/Produce_Melons.html

Has Saticoy melons to eat. It is an F1 hybrid as I understand, but if you can get one of the actual melons you'll get probably over 200 F2 seeds from it to grow. Being an older Hybrid variety, I would think it has no GMO in its heritage, and probably none of those pesky extinction or male flower only genes in it. Knowing some of the basics of Mendel's Pea experiments, and having grown F1 hybrids that I made myself of Tomatoes and Cosmos, growing the F2's, I'd be pretty sure that you'll get a pretty good mix of results with Saticoy F2 seeds from which to select for a few years your own open pollinated version. It's possible, but not necessarily so.

There may be a way to contact that site and see if you can get some F1 seed from them for some trade, I don't know. I'll keep looking.

It was Gurneys that had Saticoy Melon way back when. I think there used to be a Saticoy corn too that maybe Shumway had.

There's a town down by L.A. California called Saticoy. I'm guessing that way back when, it may have been a farming town, and nowadays folks there might not even know what dirt looks like, lol! brb, after some more searching...

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, Marshall, that's a lot of great help! I'll look into those sites.

I've actually been through Saticoy, Ca a few times.....it's a dusty little farm town that has its share of veggies and fruits, but alas no Saticoy melons. Lots of strawberries!

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well, I'm very content with what's in my garden now, but,
- Banana Squash
- White Daylilies
- Tennesee Bell Pumpkin
- Those Double Pink Granny's Bonnets
- Chimney Bluebells
- Yellow Xenox Orpine
- Those Red Bearded Irises (getting one this spring!)
- Snow Apples

Wait right here, I'll be back with my covetiousness.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Though maybe I'll grow one squash plant upward in my garden this year because i love to grow them, there are so many squashes i'd like to grow. alas, i need a much bigger garden! as it is, i'm growing one of the shortest corns, such a special exciting variety, Gaspe Flint!

Wish I had room for Candyroaster Squash!

Latest posts