Vegetable Oil in the Compost?

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I marinated a couple of chicken breasts for supper and OldGal dumped about 2 cups of the leftover marinade into my little trash barrel that holds my compost collection. It contained herbs, canola oil and a small amount of sunflower seed oil. Can I put it into my heap or is it just waste?

:he

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Id go ahead and use it in mine, but my compost pile is a fair distance from the house. That oil will decompose.

The smell may attract certain vermin or animals youd rather not have around, but I dont worry about that too much. If I see signs of something big around the compost I trap it and get rid of it if it is something I dont want around. I once caught a feral cat. I let it go. It was probably there for the mice. I dont worry about little things.

It might go rancid and smell, but probably not 2 cups. I dont know what your situation is but I dump stuff like that in mine all the time. I've never noticed a problem.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wouldn't be concerned about such a small amount of oil. Oils and grease break down slowly but they eventually will get broken down.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It will be ok, just wouldn't make a habit of it. I take my frying oil out, still hot, and pour it on weeds in the gravel driveway. It will break down eventually.

Latest posts