Veggies & Garden Helpers! DUW, as usual : )

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I made a previous post about my garden, but I didnt want to fill it with photos for the dial-up folks. I decided to make this post to show you all what we have growing at the moment!

I got an assorted packet of Swiss Chard, I believe its called Neon Lights. We got a bunch of white, go figure, but we also got a pink and a magenta!

393-1.jpg

394-1.jpg

Here are my Green Zebra tomatoes. I've heard they arent very tasty, but I could care less because I dont eat tomatoes,lol. I just think they look awesome.

395-1.jpg

This squash is called a Flying Saucer Hybrid, according to the packet. They are yellow with a green tip. It says the amount of green is determined by the temperature, and if its hotter, it will be more green. Seeing as Im in CA, it will probably be solid green. :rolleyes:

396-1.jpg

Here are the Golden Cayennes on my plant. The plant is loaded.

397.jpg

Im in love with this little guy! Its a Jack B Little pumpkin, and its really cute,lol.

399.jpg

I got this plant off the Heirloom table. Its apparently a Mohawk Hybrid, and from what I read, its like a Bell Pepper. We'll see!

410.jpg

And here is my Garden "Help". :D Their names are Fred and Momma. They were born on the property by a stray, and have stuck around. They are great cats, but most of their time in the garden is spent stalking each other,lol. Fred will hide in the beans and when Momma walks by, he'll shoot out and attack her.

Fred...

413.jpg

Momma...

404.jpg

Thanks for Looking!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love garden cats! Your Fred looks like our Tux. I can't let them out (the other one is named Midnight). The road I live on is way too busy.

I think the chard is called Bright Lights, I grow it myself, although mine has just germinated - I'm really late this year.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What great photos!

I like to grow either multi-colored, or red chard, too.

We have grown several types of patty pan, including custard marrow, yellow etc. The yellow ones had bi-colored fruit at times. Amazingly, though we have hot summers, they were mostly yellow.

Are you going to dry the cayenne for use? If you guys cook with cayenne at all, it would be a good idea. It's not always easy to find ethoxyquin-free cayenne at stores!

The small pumpkins are fun, aren't they?

Nice pepper!

Awww, what nice cats! The first one looks like 2 I had, also born to a stray. And the 2nd looks like one of my favorite cats of all time.

Thanks for posting the photos, they were fun to go through! :)

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love them too, Ann! They are total butts, but I love them. The thing that I hate is when you dig dirt, and they poop in it. :rant As for the Swiss Chard, I checked and it is Neon Lights. I saw the Bright Lights, which we grew a few years ago, but I didnt see it until AFTER I had bought the Neon Lights, so I just kept em.

Thanks, Tutter! Yeah, we enjoy growing colorful stuff. We love a lot of color in our garden, so we always make sure we put atleast one row of flowers in there. This year we have Zinnias and Marigolds. That's good to hear about the Patty Pans, my grandma and I are both pretty excited about those. Im not entirely sure what we are planning with the Cayenne. Im not a huge fan of peppers, so I dont plan on doing much, but Im sure my grandma will dry some. Yes! I love the tiny pumpkins. I also planted some Prizewinners from Burpee, we'll see what those do. Thank You. The cats are total pains sometimes, but I dont know what I'd do without em! You're welcome, I love posting the pics.

Thanks, Carlos! I've heard they taste like Yellow Pear tomatoes, which my grandma HATES. I dont eat tomatoes, so I dont know, but they look awesome! LOL, I hope my cats are happy. We give them lots of food, and fresh eggs. They cry all day unless they get a couple eggs from the hens. :D

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beekissed posted a recipe for pepper butter spread and it sounds delicious. I am making it this weekend myself. Maybe your grandma could use up some of the peppers that way, mixed in with another variety if its too hot.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Natalie, I just dont know how I would like that! I told my mom and she said that is disgusting,lol. I'll have to check it out though. We have 8 varieties of peppers this year, maybe we can figure something out. Thanks!

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Very nice.

Love the cats.

I'm just a little bit jealous of the tomatoes. It's been so cool here this summer, I'm not sure we'll get any at all.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
theOEGBman said:
Natalie, I just dont know how I would like that! I told my mom and she said that is disgusting,lol. I'll have to check it out though. We have 8 varieties of peppers this year, maybe we can figure something out. Thanks!
Disgusting!!!!! :rant Don't let the title of "butter" throw you off. It has no butter at all....its just always been called that. It is more in the nature of a spread and I've never heard it described as "disgusting" before! :lol: Just read the recipe and give it a try....better than relish and a wonderful way to preserve hot peppers instead of drying. Great for gifts also and last a long time, depending on the level of hotness. Very pretty on the shelf when you use the peppers when they are red or orange!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Poppy! That is horrible, I love growing tomatoes. I hate them, but I love the smell of the plants.

Sorry, Beekissed! I explained it to her better today and she said that still sounded gross,lol. Im sure my grandma would love it, I'll have to let her know!