veggies on a trellis?

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
okay what veggies have you had success with growing on a trellis? I am sure that you can easily grow cucs on a trellis as well as beans and peas. But what other veggies can you save space by growing them on a trellis? How about acorn squash? Please let me know what you have found works and what doesn't.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Zucchini, any squash and if you have a really BIG trellis...those LOOFA'S. lol
You can even do tomatoes (indeterminate) if you tie them up as they grow.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We had (unintentionally) cantaloupe climb our pasture fence one year. Some of the best fruit we ever had!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just your typical supermarket muskmelon size. It's not something I would TRY to do, but it happened to work out that summer :) I bet, though, some of the smaller melons, like the charentais some of us have been talking about, would for sure do fine.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I read in a magazine about a woman who had squash growing up a tree and wrapped around.
She asked her son to help do some planting and he pretty much just put the seeds anywhere in the vicinity of the garden area and she noticed one day that a vine was wrapping around a tree nearby and eventually she figured out it was squash.
It went well for her she said even though it looked funny.
Not sure what type of squash it was though.
I think anything that you can grow up is good, saves space and all. I am going to do as much of that as I can this year.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have to go find my square foot gardening book...doesn't he show something growing on a trellis with slings to hold the fruit?

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The first yr I grew honeydew it grew towards the fence & climbed it without any problems at all, big melons held just fine. Muskmelon, cukes, pole beans, peas all have done well on trelis for me & save space. Not to mention keep the produce off the ground so less pest problem & cleaner when it is picked too.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew cukes last year on a trellis and they grew nice and straight... peas beans zuc squashes tomatoes...go to gardengirltv on youtube she showes how...

Latest posts