veggies on a trellis?

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm planning on putting up 60 feet of vertical growing on the north side of my garden for growing string beans, lima beans, and cucumbers.

At various places, along the back yard chain-link fence, I'm planning to grow Waltham butternut squash, birdhouse gourds, and cantaloupe.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have decided to 'mix' this square foot gardening plan in with my raised beds and what I am already doing.

What really caught my interest in the vines on trellis. I want to figure out how to trellis my canteloupe? Now my question is, what kind of material do you think is best for me to use for these melons? I don't want to add a permanent structure though. Something I would either move next year or discard. I am not planning on growing them in the same bed next year. I'm trying to rotate my crops around 3 different beds each year.

My other concern is, for a melon (I've never grown these let alone anything before in this garden) how high should the trellis be, and do I need to tie and move the vines often? I read something about melons like to set their leaves where they need them, and if you move their vines and leaves they put more energy into moving their leaves back where they need them rather then into developing fruit?!?!

:/

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I have decided to 'mix' this square foot gardening plan in with my raised beds and what I am already doing.

What really caught my interest in the vines on trellis. I want to figure out how to trellis my canteloupe? Now my question is, what kind of material do you think is best for me to use for these melons? I don't want to add a permanent structure though. Something I would either move next year or discard. I am not planning on growing them in the same bed next year. I'm trying to rotate my crops around 3 different beds each year.

My other concern is, for a melon (I've never grown these let alone anything before in this garden) how high should the trellis be, and do I need to tie and move the vines often? I read something about melons like to set their leaves where they need them, and if you move their vines and leaves they put more energy into moving their leaves back where they need them rather then into developing fruit?!?!

I would use the large mesh trellising or chain link fencing...
I read that melons can be trellised and supported with panty hose tied to the trellis...just slip the fruit into the panty hose I am sure knee highs would work as well...

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:

I am a new gardener but just went to a class this past weekend and we talked a lot about trellis. I would suggest using thick pieces of bamboo or the metal fence post that you can get a Lowe's or a feed store for around $5 and then take wire and make a top bar and a bottom bar and then string it like done in the picture below. They said that sometimes the melon will get a little heavy but if the post is in the ground pretty deep you will have no problems.

6152_trellis.jpg

Good Luck!!!

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think I'll try some melons and squash on my chain link. If it isn't high enough they should just run horizontally...I hope. lol
I did pole beans on my 4 ' chain link last year and they did fine.

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep they said to make it high enough that you can pick the veggies off. If it grows taller just train it to come down the other side.

Latest posts