Vermicomposters...where did you purchase your worms?

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Maybe try looking around craigslist or putting a "wanted" posting for redwigglers. I saw a "wanted" ad in the farm and garden section and responded to it a year ago. Since then, I sell them there when I have tons and I am emptying my compost bin. Just make sure they are red wigglers and not just earth worms and ask where they first got them.

I got mine from a gardening friend in a scoop of compost years ago. They multiplied and I have had them ever since.

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
jlmann said:
Hey guys! Just a thought on your worms : I was reading an article on vermicomposting that recomended using redworms aka red wigglers and thought I would mention that a lot of bait& tackle shops sell them by the dozen for fishermen,
Not to be confused with canadian nightcrawlers , call around to some bait stores and ask specifically for "red wigglers" and probably the first place you call can tell you if they have them or of another place that does. With warm weather coming on fast, I don't know how well the worms will ship if you have to order them online or from a catalog. Good luck worm farming!:)
Thanks for the tip on this :thumbsup

My dh the other day, went to the bait shop & surprised me w/red worms!! I was so touched he thought about me :lol:

...can't wait to get my bin started!

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
CHeck out my other thread...has some info about all of this on there ("My Vermicomposting Project").

DG

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We went camping last year with my SIL and her husbands extended family and before we left for home I had gave my plastic tub that I placed my cloths in for the weekend with the lid to my SIL's SIL and the next time I seen her at a family function she gave it back to me all set up with a handful of her worms...now its half full of compost....a gift that keeps on giving...because I have set up two friends already....