Vermicomposting Bin...opinions please

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So, I have wrangled with the idea of getting a worm bin. At first I was, then I wasn't (chicken poo, too hot) & now I'm back to...I am :rolleyes:

After reading Catalinas post & checking out that great worm bin, I really want to go for it. The bins aren't too expensive & I am just a little leary about putting out my kitchen scraps in my open compost pile that I have at the back of my yard. First, I have a dog who loves to dig, eat, & jump. Second, I live in a urban/suburban area & mice are prevelant since we have a field behind our house.

Does anyone have experience with this type of worm bin: http://www.compostbins.com/compost-...cascadewormfactory4traywormcompostergreen.cfm

It seems like it works like its supposed to (per Catalina's post) & I like it, cuz its not too much work in seperating the worms. Any comments will be greatly appreciated! :D

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a bin that looks similar - I bought mine in February and will add the second tray this week. My worms seem to be happy, just be prepared - they eat a lot! Not sure if you were planning on putting chicken poop in yours - I don't - I keep my bin inside and save the chick poop for the outside composter.

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
I have a bin that looks similar - I bought mine in February and will add the second tray this week. My worms seem to be happy, just be prepared - they eat a lot! Not sure if you were planning on putting chicken poop in yours - I don't - I keep my bin inside and save the chick poop for the outside composter.
I was not going to put my chicken poo in the bin either. I read it tends to be too hot for the worms, so I'll keep the poo & shavings for my outside pile. Thanks for the heads up on the amount they eat, hopefully I can keep them happy :lol:

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:thumbsup Looks good.

per by parents: The square ones are better than the round one, because you can fit more into the space, with the corners.

Yeah, they do eat a lot!

Also, watch out for the pH. My mom had to stop adding coffee grounds this week, because it was getting too acidic for the worms.
Just try for a balance of different foods.

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Catalina said:
:thumbsup Looks good.

per by parents: The square ones are better than the round one, because you can fit more into the space, with the corners.

Yeah, they do eat a lot!

Also, watch out for the pH. My mom had to stop adding coffee grounds this week, because it was getting too acidic for the worms.
Just try for a balance of different foods.
After seeing your post, it really reinforced that I want to vermicompost. The tray composter seems like a great option. Thanks for helping me take the plunge :D

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a composter set up, and was wondering if I could simply add worms to it (if I assure that it stays moist and I don't get crazy when I mix the soil and butcher them!). I understand the rationalle of haveing the trays (for easy gathering of worms as treats), but other than that, wouldn't any compost heap work?

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
desertgirl said:
I have a composter set up, and was wondering if I could simply add worms to it (if I assure that it stays moist and I don't get crazy when I mix the soil and butcher them!). I understand the rationalle of haveing the trays (for easy gathering of worms as treats), but other than that, wouldn't any compost heap work?
The trays are so the the worms can move away from their poo and produce more usable 'material'.

The trays make soil production more efficient.

If you add worms to your compost pile you run the risk of losing your worms, they will wander off. Also, they like to be far, far away from sunlight, so they will end up on the bottom of your compost pile. On the bottom of the pile they will turn everything into poo and then (unless you can turn the pile and not kill them - which will take a ton of work) they will run away or die if they can't get away.

I'm not sure what your compost pile looks like, but it probably it has a bunch of worms on the bottom already - they love moist, dark places.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So theoretically I could add one of those trays to my compost bin? I live in the desert, so it seems like they wouldn't want to leave the nice moist compost bin. I am not adversed to spending the money for one of the worm bins, I just want to understand how it all works.

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My husband and I have been talking about starting vermiculture to use for compost for the garden and for treats for the chickens. This looks like a really easy set up. I have the perfect place to put it. I will show it to him this evening.

Latest posts