Vermiculture question

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Does anyone know how you get the castings out of the bin without getting too many worms and throwing them out too? I know they will multiply but I would rather keep them in the bin.

Thanks!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Supposedly you can take the soil out of a bin, pile it on a tarp or newspaper, in the sun. The worms will move to the bottom of the pile and you can scoop the top of the layer off.

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I harvested my first tray Tuesday. I just scooped it out by hand and picked out the worms as I went.

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
In my small worm bins I move all 'muck' over to one end and put new fresh wet paper and compost yummies on the other end and wait a couple day-the worms move over to the 'fresh' side and I harvest the poop...eewww! Works great! But when I'm in a hurry I do the scoop and pluck method too.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put my worm bin together today and read the directions. My worms will ship on Monday. I've been saving food scraps in a container in the fridge. Is it a good idea to take them out to get to room temp before I put it in the worm bin?

Thanks!

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
robbobbin said:
In my small worm bins I move all 'muck' over to one end and put new fresh wet paper and compost yummies on the other end and wait a couple day-the worms move over to the 'fresh' side and I harvest the poop...eewww! Works great! But when I'm in a hurry I do the scoop and pluck method too.
So how come they don't all move upstairs to the fresh food in my worm stacker, like the manual says? Perhaps they are illiterate? I wind up with 3 trays of worm inhabited goo. Could be worse, though. :p

NoSpringChick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
RedClayGardener said:
Does anyone know how you get the castings out of the bin without getting too many worms and throwing them out too? I know they will multiply but I would rather keep them in the bin.

Thanks!
The best way I have found is to place a few layers of newspaper on a table with a light above it....wait 10 minutes and remove the top 2 inches....wait another 10 minutes and remove the next top 2 inches...repeat until you just have a pile of worms.

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have got to give worm farming a try this is driving me nuts. Is it really as easy as you guys make it sound? I primarily want to do it as another/ better way to make compost.

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes, it is easy :D . Kitchen waste, and enough sawdust, leaves, or shredded paper to keep it from smelling. Technically you're supposed to have drainage, but they don't complain (lack of vocal chords a real plus there). I have a stacker and a tub in basement waiting until spring, and a working bin in the kitchen, with a bucket of sawdust next to it, sooo easy. Do it :cool: . In summer, I toss them in our outdoor pile and they wintered over zone 5 the year before last (forgot to put them in our new pile this fall). Do it, do it, do it :):):) !

Latest posts