vfem and digitS worship

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Might as well get this out of the way now.....

Thank you both for all of your sage (ha!get it??!!) advice.:gig

(And thank you in advance for helping with all of my silly questions again this year!).

You guys are amazing...:bow

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh hunny, that is so sweet... but I am still learning as I go... Trial and error girl! ;)

I bet you will end up with an awesome year yet again. Any big plans?

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HUGE!

I have developed delusions of grandeur.....

Today was a nice sunny day, and it got everyone thinking about spring.
DH and I spent the afternoon walking around our little yard, making plans, sketches, etc. I had such a great experience last year with the raised sqaure foot garden, we are going to build two more (one will be twice twice the size). We are also going to fence off a corner to contain our garden, so that I can have a chicken free flower zone. Oh, and then there's DH's Tiki Bar....

I think we have a little cabin/spring fever!!!

I am also going to order seeds and start them soon.....

So exciting!!!!!!:throw

And you?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, DesertGirl.

Temperatures here are 10F above normal. After record-breaking snow last year and a snowy winter the year before that - we have had almost no snow this year!

I may be leaving for the Twin Cities soon. Yes, that's Twin Cities as in Minnesota. The "City of (frozen) Lakes" - with no plans for fishing . . . home of the Winter Carnival in St.Paul but too late to pretend that I would have attended :rolleyes:

My son lives there and that is about the only "lure" for visiting that cold part of the country during the winter. No, I do not like the cold. I couldn't easily tolerate more cold and winter darkness than I have experienced here for the last 40-odd years. Still, after suffering so little (so far) this winter - it's hard for me to say no to a trip to America's Siberia.

I say this all by way of informing you that I am very capable of leading you astray. Instead of greeting the spring by heading south . . . :rolleyes:

I have never started seed earlier than mid-February and that has worked out well for me (well, it once in awhile has been too early :/). Seed orders have to go out this month and next, however. My catalogs are already seriously dog-eared :)!

I hope everyone can have a good start and a good growing season this year :rainbow-sun!

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Thank you, DesertGirl.

Temperatures here are 10F above normal. After record-breaking snow last year and a snowy winter the year before that - we have had almost no snow this year!

I may be leaving for the Twin Cities soon. Yes, that's Twin Cities as in Minnesota. The "City of (frozen) Lakes" - with no plans for fishing . . . home of the Winter Carnival in St.Paul but too late to pretend that I would have attended :rolleyes:

My son lives there and that is about the only "lure" for visiting that cold part of the country during the winter. No, I do not like the cold. I couldn't easily tolerate more cold and winter darkness than I have experienced here for the last 40-odd years. Still, after suffering so little (so far) this winter - it's hard for me to say no to a trip to America's Siberia.

I say this all by way of informing you that I am very capable of leading you astray. Instead of greeting the spring by heading south . . . :rolleyes:

I have never started seed earlier than mid-February and that has worked out well for me (well, it once in awhile has been too early :/). Seed orders have to go out this month and next, however. My catalogs are already seriously dog-eared :)!

I hope everyone can have a good start and a good growing season this year :rainbow-sun!

Steve
Hurry Steve ... you're missing a heat wave here! :p Temps above 30 most of the week ... feels like Spring! :happy_flower

You could always spend the day at the Conservatory at Como Park ... take a bunch of photos and pretend you went to the tropics ... :bun

My favorite place when I'm tired of white! ... and I refuse to fish while sitting on an ice cube! :hide

6517_cimg6953.jpg

6517_cimg6955.jpg

6517_cimg6923.jpg

Hope you have a great trip!! :)

... with a little cooperation from Mother Nature this year... may we all have more bounty and blooms than we know what to do with!:throw

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh Lavender! That is...oh my... GORGEOUS!!!

If you have more pictures of the place you should really start another thread and share them all. In this cold I really crave just to see color. Just looking at flowers changes how my body feels.

Thank goodness V-day is coming... for once I will ask for flowers... something long blooming in a vase will help my down and out cold mood. :bouquet

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought I would provoke a response from MN people ;) - I'm glad it's this one!

If I can just get my yard to look like this in June . . . :)!

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oops... sorry, vfem ... I get caught up in the conversation too easy.. didn't mean to sway the topic a bit ...
... and there ya have it... I was provoked ... :D
I hope you get a huge vase of your favorite flowers! :)

I felt I had to ease your poor mind, Steve... that you wouldn't come here and be stranded on a frozen glacier with no life in sight... :lol:

I had to run last night, but wanted to add ... All the big snaps reminded me of your beautiful cutting gardens, Steve.
Working in a field of blooms would be like a dream!! :love

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I thought I would provoke a response from MN people ;) - I'm glad it's this one!

If I can just get my yard to look like this in June . . . :)!

Steve
(One more off subject posting)

Hey!
You'll be here just in time for a big RAIN storm.
RAIN - in January.
Also, if you want to see a giant ice castle drive 2 hours west. There is an ice festival this next weekend in Spicer, MN. My mom is running in the frozen 5k on Sat. Last year a guy got really bad frostbite on the end of his nose. It was gross. Of course it was -30F and windy.
They also have waffles after the race.
I go for the waffles.

Latest posts