Vines on Chain Link Fence

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a chain link fence that I am going to install a few raised bed planters near. The problem is that the fence is covered with honeysuckle and some other sort of vine. Every winter i go out and pull as much of it off as i can when its brittle but it seems to grow back twofold every spring. Its not letting the section of my yard get enough light so it has got to go.

I sprayed the whole thing with Round UP this morning hoping to at least slow the growth a bit. I plan on taking a chainsaw to parts of it this weekend, but im sure there are a few things i can do and just dont know about to get rid of this.

Any Ideas?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rip every single bit of the plant(s) off the fence. Discard.

Find where the plants were coming out of the ground. Dig up as much root mass as you can manage. Leave hole(s) standing open and empty for the summer.

Then, once a week, like clockwork, go out and rip up any new growth that sprouts. Lather rinse repeat.

Eventually the plant will run out of steam and quit growing back. It is not difficult or hard work (well, pulling the vines off the chainlink in the first place is hard work), it just requires persistance.

Be more stubborn than the plant :)

Good luck,

Pat

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
While I'm not a Roundup user generally, if you've got it, pour some into a can and get a paintbrush you aren't going to want again. Cut the main stem and immediately paint it with full strength Roundup. Yes, it's off label use, but it works. I used this method on multiflora roses to kill them dead (I hate those things, this was on the farm I used to tend, these rotten things were at least 30' in diameter and climbed trees! :ep )

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
water it with very, very salty water. I use the water out of the homeaid ice cream maker. This seems to kill a lot of things so be careful

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
water it with very, very salty water. I use the water out of the homeaid ice cream maker. This seems to kill a lot of things so be careful
i believe salt water sort of sterilizes the soil, so if you wanted to grow something else there that might not be a good idea?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yea, salt isn't a good idea, it lingers in the soil. While I know roundup supposedly deteriorates I wouldn't use it in any soil I was going to grow food in.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Isn't it a fence that he is trying to keep clean? That is exactly why I do it with mine, to keep the weeds out of the fence and the gravel section of the drive.

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yep Just trying to keep it clean, My raised beds are on one side of it and all the vines are blocking the sunlight!

Latest posts