VINES

Presto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello. I am trying to find some kind of flowering Vines to cover a garage, its not my garage but it sits right on the property line, & its an ugly gross garage, re-bar coming threw, stucko falling off, I cant plant veggies over there & its the perfect spot!
Are there any quick growing vines that I can plant & have grow up a trellis? I cant have them attach to the garage.
This our first house & the old owner planted things with no rym or reason, we have a beautiful lilac bush, almost in the middle of our yard....makes no sense.
Thanks a Bunch
LoriAnn:frow

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, I think of small gourds, or the ornamental type gourd. There's also Hyacinth vine, clematis, runner beans, trumpet vine,etc....

Presto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Carol, Should I get these as seeds or ones that are already growing in a pot? I am sorry, I am SOOO new to all this.
thanks for the advice.
Lori

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Annual vines are only going to do much of a job of hiding the garage for 2-3 months at the *most*. (First they'll be too small, then they'll be dead). Even for that time, the ones that grow fast and big and thick will need *strong* support, like a REALLY sturdy and well-braced trellis.

Perennials will give somewhat better year-round cover, although most of the ones you could use will still lose their leaves in wintertime, but will cost more and take longer to grow, and require stronger support. Also, most of the fastest-growing ones are not going to stop, they will get wayyyyy bigger than your availble space and require lots of weekly or biweekly massive pruning.

It might be better to shell out for building a solid or mostly-solid fence that you could 'decorate' with a trellised vine, rather than expecting the vine to do the heavy work of hiding the garage?

Pat

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
you will need something evergreenish, like a confederate jasmine or tangerine beauty crossvine (hummingbirds love this one).

Presto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I dunno what to do with this eye sore, I went out there today, got some Bamboo fencing & its not tall enough, grrr, While I was putting the fence in, I pushed on the wall of the garage & it buckled in a little, 'YIKES'! I got a cut from the re-bar, & alot of the stucko was falling, I noticed the gutter on the garage are full of grass growing it in, It really ticks me off because I would love to plant over there, all the glass is broken out of it & I found pieces in my yard by the garage & they took card board to cover the window, I thought I could mention something to the Ladies that live there, & said your gutters are about to come crashing down & there is some broken glass & her reply, " Well, I dont really care, I rent, its not my problem"! & before I could ask for there landlords number she stormed away......Lord, please grant me the strength to control my temper...:barnie
Thanks for reading my rant, this is my first house....:/ I am really upset about this because my dogs play out there.

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If you really wanted to take this further, you could find out your rights as a homeowner--check bylaws, etc., then talk to the landlord.

they do condemn houses......and slate for destruction......rotted trees need to be taken down......

All i'm saying is you could pursue this......

jmo

Presto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi JMO.

Thank you for the advice, I live in a Village, so I went to the villages town hall, & found out 2x a year they inspect houses that are rented in the village. I am going to try & talk to the landlord & show him its about to come down into my yard, if he is nasty or a creep then I will take it to another level. I hate to do that thou.

Lori

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don
t know if they will last through winter. Honeysuckel grows fast and thick, smells WONDERFUL and is not too heavy. In CA it lasts through winter still flowering.

Maybe you can find out the owners info by searching public records.

Monica

Latest posts