Virginia

MarkR

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'm not new, just been away for a while. Still gardening, chickening, etc. . . though no bees this year.

I've started a garden at the school where I work. You can see a bit of our progress so far here. Other than that, nothing new really.

Just thought I'd check back in and maybe re-connect with some folks, see what's going on out in the world, . . .

Mark

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome back! The garden at the school looks fun! That is such a cool way to introduce kids to gardening and hopefully eating veggies!

MarkR

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yup, the kids love it. Except weeding. . . anything but that.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey Mark. Great garden! Its wonderful that the kids as well as their parents and the community are participating. You could try green beans in the empty area. They should grow well and quickly in the hot weather. Try mulch for those pesky weeds! Got any shredded leaves or more flat pieces of slate?

MarkR

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Good thought about beans in that spot. I can probably get a couple months of stuff before putting the greens back there.

Mulch. . . yeah, I know. I'm stuck with a budget of. . . nothing, or you'd see a nice blanket of straw. I did my home garden but didn't have enough left over to do the school garden. I think one of the parents is going to bring some in though, so that'll be good.

It's always challenging to know how much to personally do and how much to let the kids discover and do. It's a balancing act, and like the guy on the high wire, I'm teetering radically in both directions. Fortunately, no one has fallen off and gotten hurt. . . :D

Thanks for the ideas!

Mark