seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was about this time of year that a Monarch showed up in my garden. This is a very minor route for them so she/he was a special joy to see.

I would move towards him as he fluttered above the zinnias. He would fly over the neighbor's raspberry jungle. I'd move away and he would come back. After two tries, I left him alone.

It would have been great if he could have just landed on my hand :).

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very beautiful!!! The last few years have been great years for butterflies...I've seen more varieties and just more in numbers than in all the many years past.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been letting the milk weed grow, so I am happy to see them in my garden. What a special treat, Seed!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know that milkweed is the main food, or at least very important for Monarchs. Is asclepia (butterfly weed) also a food for Monarchs? Or mostly other types of butterflies?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should really look this up and get the facts straight, but I should have left 25 minutes ago....
Anyway there is a type of milkweed, ( the common weed one I think is Asclepia syriaca ) that is a perennial and it's damaging to Monarchs somehow. I think it's something to do with the egg laying and pupae thing....
I think we need @Pulsegleaner 's help here!