Wading Pool Tomatoes (PIX)

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For years and years I have tried to grow tomatoes. And it is so hot and dry here that they are never very happy and don't produce many tomatoes. This year, I came up with what I am hoping will be a solution to the extreme heat and lack of humidity.

What I did was put my Tomato Plants in a wading pool with shade cloth over the top of them.

7262011TomatoPlants001email.jpg

They are able to get early morning sun and are sheltered from the afternoon sun. The shadecloth keeps in some of the humidity and with the pots sitting in water, the soil stays evenly moist.

7262011TomatoPlants003email.jpg

I still have to water them twice a day on the hottest of day. But, now they don't dry out between waterings which causes them to be too stressed. They have lots of flowers and I hope to this year actually get some decent tomatoes.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
rebbetzin, "neccessity is the mother of invention". You found it neccessary to have tomatoes and invented a way to make it happen! Great job. With all those flowers I am sure you will get some much anticipated fruit. Congratulations on being a creative gardener!

rickdigschicks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What a great idea. Can't wait to see pics of your bumper crop.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
Great idea! I grew tomatoes *once* when we lived in Phoenix. I think our water bill tripled. -Wendy
One thing about this set-up is, I can reuse the water instead of it just disappearing into the ground.

Latest posts