Wagon,barrel,or cart?

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I had to toss out my wheel barrel last summer. Been using the kids old step 2 wagon.Not good for me.

Was looking at the plastic carts and the metal wagons.

What do you all use?

I need it to haul clippings,pine shavings,and if I am lucky some good soil/mulch. I was thinking the cart might be ok. I saw it on sale at Aldis for $25.

http://www.aldifoods.com/us/html/offers/weekly_ads_ENU_HTML.php

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you're referring to the two wheel plastic cart, they are very handy. DW used one for many years and I think my daughter-in-law still uses it all the time. They don't hold much but they also don't get very heavily loaded and un-manageable.

BTY where are you in Cincy? Many years ago we lived in Ross and did all our shopping in the Northgate area.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am getting me a wagon, but one of the ones that hooks onto the back of my riding mower. I am SICK AND TIRED of hauling clippings, waste, plants, mulch, and coop cleanings back and forth over an acre in a wheel barrow. :rolleyes:

I get enough exercise.... Go for whatever demands the least amount of YOU power!!! LOL

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My personal first choice is a wheel barrow because it's very maneuverable, and I can really stack it high ( I use tie downs to secure the load ). I also have a wagon, the one made of expanded metal with drop down sides. The wagon is handy for loading up with bags of soil amendments, feed bags, or lots of brush, when it's loaded with really heavy stuff I pull it with the quad. I got the wagon at a garage sale for cheap, otherwise I doubt I would have sprung for the $100+ it would have cost.
My mom has always used those little plastic carts, but I personally find them annoying,they don't hold enough, and you can't put anything substantial in them, plus they don't have much ground clearance, and they rock over rough ground. On the other hand they are light, and I guess not everybody gardens in the back of beyond! :)

Edited to add: I just looked at the ad, and I really think you won't be happy hauling soil in that, light stuff- no problem, but soil will be hard on it and you!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have one of the 2 wheel wheelbarrows and I love it. It can get heavy if your not careful but it holds a TON and isn't tippy. Just lift and push. Fronts sloped at an angle so when you dump it, your not flipping it all the way over just to get it unloaded. It was pricey but its a really good investment.

We use it for everything Id be lost without it.

gettinaclue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just got a wagon from TSC this year. Pulls like a regular wagon, but has a handle you pull out and the bed will lift and dump - like a dump truck. It also has some heavy duty wheels on it that make taking it in the garden MUCH MUCH easier.

DH had gotten a ginormous wheel barrow and I've been using that for years. I just hated it. Wooden handles would splinter may hands, and wheel barrows have always been a bit unwieldy for me.

There is a draw back of smaller load, but at this point, I'm not complaining. Along with the smaller load and the 4 heavy duty wheels, I haven't gotten it stuck anywhere in the garden or yard yet.

After only a little while of using, I have to say I JUST LOVE IT! It is the light of my gardening life at this point. :coolsun I don't ever want to use another wheel barrow if I can help it.

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for the posts. Not sure what I will do. Using a tarp right now to drag stuff all over the yard.

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've got the Rubbermaid 2-wheeled Cart, which I like. I've got to make sure all my gates are wide enough to fit through, though. :)

gettinaclue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mattemma said:
Thanks for the posts. Not sure what I will do. Using a tarp right now to drag stuff all over the yard.
We did that for a while. It wasn't fun at all. I'm sorry for your back!

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I ended up getting the cart,and go figure Home depot had a similar one for $5 less. Oh well.

I have added some metal washers to the plastic where the pipe goes in for the wheels. Hopefully this will help hold things together longer.

Latest posts