Waist high gardening

BackerBunch

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi all,

Last May I tore a cartilage in my left knee. I decided to get a cortisone shot over surgery and Ive been babying my knee since. Because of my knee, DH and I are thinking about building a waist high garden bed or 2. (If I tear my cartilage again, Ill be back to wearing my leg brace. I'm not in any pain but it still 'catches' every once in a while.) Its going to be around 4 wide x 6 long. Im trying to figure out what kind of bottom to build it with. I looked into heavy duty tubs but the only ones that are deep enough (around 15) are way too expensive. Because the legs are going to be made from a 4 x 4 we have, its going to be heavy so we would like to try and keep it as light as possible but Im wondering if thats going to be possible. Any suggestions on what to use for the bottom? Or if you were thinking about building one, how would you build it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband has waited so long for knee replacement he is really having a tough time. I am afraid his knee will give out and then he will really be in a heap of ... He will have surgery in Feb. and I hope he can keep going until then. I wish he had done it sooner. He is young enough for a good outcome, but will need the second one done as soon as possible . Don't wait too long. Several people have told me the first day's pain after surgery is less than the worst day's pain before.

BackerBunch

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks, catjac. I haven't gotten to that point yet. My surgery would have been to cut out the tear/flap part. My brother's girlfriend had it done and she says her knee gives out on her every once in a while. Because your cartilages stabilizes your knees, I believe her. And because our house is a 2-story, I was scared of being at the top of the stairs and my knee give out. I might still have to get it done later on down the road. We'll see.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If I were to build this type of bed I would use corrugated metal and run it down into the ground about 6 to 8 inches and make the top at a height comfortable to my work altitude. Drive metal stakes on the outside and when you backfill with dirt the metal will be captured between.
I would use the corrugated on end and cut each piece to length. I would find used metal to keep the cost down.

THANX RICH

BackerBunch

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, dickiebird! I'll check into the materials and see if/how that can work. I'm not familiar with working with metal. How easy would it be to bend the top of corrugated metal? I'm thinking about if I have to place my hand on it in case I have to steady myself. Would building a wooden "frame" to go over the edge by crazy? I have a foldable coldframe I'm thinking I could also set on top of it.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
BackerBunch said:
How easy would it be to bend the top of corrugated metal? I'm thinking about if I have to place my hand on it in case I have to steady myself.
I would think splitting a rubber hose or even a 1 1/2 PVC pipe to cover the top would be safe and easy. I've cut the metal to build the wood shop and garden shed, and I'd think bending a layer over would be pretty difficult.

Love, Smart Red

Couldn't post on the site for quite a while. Couldn't get on the site either. Reason?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Like Red said, it would be very difficult to bend the top of corrugated if it's installed in a verticle fashion. Your thought of a wood topper or the hose or pvc top that Smart Red suggested would all work.
The best way I've found to cut corrugated is with a skil saw equipped with a carbide toothed blade.

THANX RICH

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
What I did to cut the corrigated metal roofing and 16 window cutouts on the siding with a skill saw for my barn ( 96 ft. long ) was to install the plywood blade backwards. Cuts the panels with ease and makes a clean cut. One can also use an electric hand grinder to smooth out any sharp edges or to make small cuts for electric outlet boxes. I got this tip from a barn building contractor.

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Straw bale gardens are good.New book coming out in spring.Stand up and garden has some good pics.