Waited 5 Years #$%&* Deer

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is it possible that the deer 'saved' it for you?? I had 5 planted in a group. Waited several years for them to bloom. They were GEORGOUS.. then all five promptly died.
Do yuccas die after blooming?? If so, maybe you'll get to keep the plant a while longer.. till it successfully blooms?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy
Scan0038.jpg
Sorry Alex, But they no longer cost that much! I saw these in the Burgess seed catalog we just got! I even see them growing in ditches where people have dumped unwanted plants or seed has gotten dispersed!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
There must like many plants have a wild variety and a garden variety. Do the "wild " ones flower the same as garden planted ? Cane I did lose one after it flowered but in was in a planter, Lose a lot of plants that way.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There must like many plants have a wild variety and a garden variety. Do the "wild " ones flower the same as garden planted ? Cane I did lose one after it flowered but in was in a planter, Lose a lot of plants that way.

The wild ones are just as pretty in bloom. Look the same to me. I don't know what breeders have done to "improve" yuccas, but they could start with the dang needles.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty sure they are EXACTLY the same, just got away from the garden! I suppose someone tossed spent blooms out with compostables and such in the ditch. Or deer carried the seeds and deposited them there. In the southwest where they are EVERYWHERE, you can just dig 'em up and bring them home!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted a bunch in waste ground behind the house to stop erosion, now everywhere. Hate to think how many starts I’ve killed....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was flabbergasted when I first saw them at a nursery. People pay money for these evil things?

I am not just biased toward yuccas though, I'm an equal opportunity sticker hater.
Probably came from my childhood. Mom had a "desert" garden with cacti. I fell on the jumping cactus when I was 4 and dad had to use pliers to get all the jumpers off me. It was horrifying, haha.

Latest posts