Waiting For Daffodils

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The little bit of Wood Hyacinths are my indication of spring.

I was disappointed to learn that they are invasive in some parts of the country. Sort of like chives are so many places. I don't think either count as such here. The Wood Hyacinths were planted long before I got here. The chives will be the first "food" coming in from the garden but are buried under several feet of snow right now.

The Wood Hyacinths are a couple of inches tall and uncovered, right near the house foundation. I don't know if they have been growing this year, or not. They will bloom just about the time that I can know that there will be continuing warm weather. Anything earlier is just a red herring ...

;) Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here, forsythia will start just by sticking a cut twig in the ground and keeping it watered well for a couple of weeks.
I did that a couple of years ago - took 10 branch tips from a bush at my parent's house, stuck them in the soil along the fence and watered every day for a while. This year, there are 7 little plants ranging from 1' - 3' tall and they bloomed for the first time this 'Spring'.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a perfectly glorious full moon last night until very early this morning. It's a beautiful day today-in the thirties and clear. Tomorrow starts our 2 day nor'easter. My daffodils will be burried but should survive.
CAT_0243.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My snowdrops by the front door are up! That was still a deep snow pile just a few days ago.
The beds along the east side of the house have plants pushing up at the snows edge where it has just barely melted back enough to show. They must start waking up while the snow is still deep so they can be out of the ground at the first opportunity.
I love their faith and optimism in spring. :)

Latest posts