Waiting For Daffodils

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Growing up daffodils and tulips always meant spring, but that was in deer free city. I had to give up on tulips deer love them more then me. Good old daffodils are toxic so deer leave alone. This fall when the big box store put their bulbs on clearance I filled a shopping cart with daffodil bulbs. Of course when buying to is easy to forget how much work to plant. I am hoping this spring my woods will be filled with drifts of daffodils, fingers crossed.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Don't feel bad about the work to plant. Every winter on Mid American Gardener Somebody on the panel talks about the spring bulbs that they forgot to plant, left in the trunk of the car, or the back of the shed,bc it's a LOT of work!! If you got them in the ground, they WILL come up. Even if you don't have drifts, they will multiply. I even took 20 crocus bulbs that I had forgotten about---neighbor kid sold them from a school $ raiser last Fall--soaked them for a few days and dug a ditch to put them in. THEY may NOT flower this year, and some won't come up, but some will. You should realize two things about bulbs. One, they need to be planted 3x how WIDE the bulb is, and Two, many will pull themselves down to their proper depth if you don't plant deep enough. I have witnessed this very thing digging in a bed where I forgot about some bulbs that I had planted and split one bulb it two with my spade. One of the pieces survived when transplanted into another bed.
On MAG somebody wrote in that they lived next to what used to be a daffodil farm and the flowers have spread to their yard. They figure that some of the bulbs on the nursery property could easily be 100yo!
If you REALLY like daffodils, take note of when THESE flower. I have learned that you can plant daffodils that will bloom in succession.
http://www.gardensmart.tv/pages.php?page=episodes&subpage=2013_show8
http://www.bachmans.com/Garden-Care...ageIndex=_pageIndexToken_successWithDaffodils
http://www.gardenguides.com/90061-use-perennials-create-succession-bloom.html

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a difference a few hours makes.
Mine have flowered and are fading away.
I hope your woods are BURSTING with daffodils!
When do they bloom in your area?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a difference a few hours makes.
Mine have flowered and are fading away.

What! You gotta be kidding!
I'm still doing this...
sFun_tonguestuck.gif

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I need to move mine.....the big trucks the power line contractors are parking here keep running over them. And my Amaryllis too!

I love Daffodils and Narcissus! My Narcissus are up against a fence, so did not get run over and bloomed beautifully for me. I love bulb flowers!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm still going to have to wait a few more weeks to see my 1 little cluster of old tulips that came with the property. that is my sign of spring. i wish i had a couple forsythia bushes in my yard but that is a future plan when i have some more time & $ to landscape the property. still taking big trees & scrub down to make way. forsythia to me is a sure sign spring is officially here & it is about time to get certain plants in the ground.

Latest posts