Want 2 more chickens

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am posting this here because I feel more comfortable here than on BYC. I want to replace 2 of my hens with a speckled sussex and a silver lace wyndotte. My problem is that it looks like I won't find them both at the same time at feed stores. Right now I can get a 4 week old speckle sussex but no one seems to have a silver lace wyndotte.

I know that it would be better for them and easier for me if I could get both at the same time.

Can I get the 4 wk old sussex now? I would separate her from the others with her own chick starter feed. She will be separated by chicken wire inside the coop so all of the hens will still be able to see each other.

Can I later get a silver lace wyndotte chick? My concern is that it would be the only chick I would be raising in the bathroom until she feathers. Will she be lonely and die?

Also, I've been doing some research on the broodiness of the sussex. Some say she goes broody others say only occasionaly, not as much as other breeds such as the buff orphinton. What is your experience/knowledge on their broodiness?

All help is appreciated!

Mary

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have raised a single chick alone without problems, they get spoiled ! some people put stuff toy for companionship, You can get the other sussex , should be fine. Just have to remember to care for her ! seperating will be a good idea until they are a little bigger, Having a broody hen takes a lot of luck!. I have three Buff orphinton hens that are over 3 years old and only ONE is broody. Shes an excellent mother, but lost them when other hens (different breeds) killed them all, eggs and chickies. I will need to put in different pens next time she wants to be a mama again..

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can take this for what it's worth, but in my opinion it would be best to wait and get the two chicks at the same time.

Do you want a hen that goes broody? My Black Copper Marans seems to go broody every other minute. Very annoying.
Aaaand she still lays the smallest eggs, and she's crabby, and is always doing chicken grumbling. Loudly.

I noticed this week she laid 4 days in a row, which is a first for her. I did mention Craigslist to her last time she went broody tho'. Maybe that motivated her.

Oh sorry Mary, got off on a little tangent of my own there.

I know waiting is hard, something I have no skill at. Maybe you could try posting a want ad on Craigslist for the two breeds and see if anything turns up?

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I wish I didn't live on the other side of the country! I would give you one of each full grown all ready. We have had our Speckled Sussex for a bit over a year. None have gone broody yet. We have had our Silver Laced Wyandotte for about 2 years and she is about 3-3 1/2 years old. She has never gone broody since we have had her.

I know that it would be better for them and easier for me if I could get both at the same time.
I agree with you.

Your plan for the SS if you get one now is a good one if that is what you plan to do. If you get the SLW in the future. Perhaps you could get 2 and then sell or give one away if that is what you choose to do when the time comes. That way they have company and feeding/cleaning for 2 is no more hassle and expense really then for 1. Just a thought. :D

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Desertlady, I'm getting rid of my buff orphington because she goes broody every 6-8 weeks. Not only does she stop laying but it's a hassle to always be separating her in another area with her own feed and water.

Thistle, No! I do not want a broody hen!

Stubbornhill, the other hen that I'm getting rid of is my silver lace wyndotte. She has never gone broody on me but she only lays about 4 eggs early spring and then stops the rest of the year. Her few eggs have always had very slight ridges on them. I want a better layer.

Thistle, speaking of craigslist, I told my husband 2 days ago that I was getting rid of thye slw. Guess what, she laid an egg! Guess she knew what was coming! :lol:

I like the fact that the sussex is already 4 weeks old. With our mild climate, that's the time that I put them out in the coop. Gonna have to think hard about this and hope others chime in with more ideas.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I think you need to look at what you can do, not just what would be best to do. If I waited on what was best to do, I'd never get anything done.

It would be better to get the two the same age at the same time. It would be even better if you were pretty sure they were female. But that may not be possible.

If I were you and was set on having those two breeds, I'd go for it. You never know when your next opportunuity might come along.

Have you tried finding your state thread over on BYC and trying to find someone in your area that can help you. California has several threads, some whole state and some for part of the state.

Good luck!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just go for it. I appreciate your feelings for the chicks, but they will be ok. You sound like a very good chicken Mommy and I am sure that each chick would recieve excellant care.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Stubbornhill, the other hen that I'm getting rid of is my silver lace wyndotte. She has never gone broody on me but she only lays about 4 eggs early spring and then stops the rest of the year

That is odd that you say that. I thought we just had a freeloader! Our SLW seriously has only laid about 4 eggs in 2 years. Maybe they are just not great layers?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stubbornhill, I consider 4 eggs in 2 yrs. non layers! not "not great layers".

Ridgerunner, I plan to get the chicks from a feed store. I've called around and they all have different breeds and don't know what they will be getting each week. It depends what is available at the hatcheries. Most of what they get are the most common breeds. Breeds like welsummers and speckle sussex are not that common. That's why I would like to jump at the chance to get that 4wk sussex and then worry about getting the slw later, even next spring. I once tried buying just 1 welsummer from a BYC "breeder", she was onery and said she didn't sell just 1 chick. I even told her that I was planning on getting 2 from the feed store and there would be a total of 3 being raised together. She refused to sell me just one. BYC "breeders" in my area are very cliqueish and not very nice so I've stayed away from that site.

Mary

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would still check their wanted/for sale forum on the BYC for available birds. You might stumble into both breeds or a SLW sooner than you planned on. Besides you don't have to post on there either. I rarely go on BYC either so its not just you.

Latest posts