Want 2 more chickens

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My two cents...

I throw out 5-6 week old chicks into the coop with their full grown coop mates - winter included. They do fine. It's absolutely warm enough for your 4 week old chick to be introduced to the coop now. I'd get a cage or build one out of scrap to separate her from the rest of the flock. What I do is keep the cage in the run in the shade, and move her in and out at night so she can roost with them. Do this for 3 days or so then let her run around, but watch. There will be some minor pecking and chasing, but I've not had major issues with integration, whether I use the cage option or not. If I'm throwing in a bunch of chicks, I don't bother with the cage. But one new chick, and everyone will focus their attentions on her so a cage is best.

That being said, depending on how this chick was raised you may want to quarantine it from the rest of your flock and not throw it right in. If you do that I do urge you to get it a friend, whether you end up selling the friend later or not. I had to raise my speckled sussex alone in her own brooder because she had a broken leg when she arrived at my house and was getting pecked and trampled in the regular brooder. She's never acted like a real chicken, is a total space cadet, and follows me around like a dog. She's sweeter than sweet, full of personality, and I wouldn't trade her for the world. But I do wish that I didn't have to keep an eye on her because she just wanders away from the rest of the flock, will follow me to the road... tries to sneak into the house, screams for me at the fence line, and will stand (even in the pouring rain) at the fence staring into the kitchen window at me (it's kinda creepy!).

By the way, I think my girl has laid about 5 eggs total in her life. She's not ever broody, just doesn't lay.

6992_fall_hoppy.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
SuperChemicalGirl said:
I throw out 5-6 week old chicks into the coop with their full grown coop mates - winter included. They do fine. It's absolutely warm enough for your 4 week old chick to be introduced to the coop now. I'd get a cage or build one out of scrap to separate her from the rest of the flock. What I do is keep the cage in the run in the shade, and move her in and out at night so she can roost with them. Do this for 3 days or so then let her run around, but watch. There will be some minor pecking and chasing, but I've not had major issues with integration, whether I use the cage option or not. If I'm throwing in a bunch of chicks, I don't bother with the cage. But one new chick, and everyone will focus their attentions on her so a cage is best.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6992_fall_hoppy.jpg
I pretty much agree with all that. I'll add is that you need enough space for the chicks to get away from the adults. If you have limited space where the young chicks cannot get away from the adults, it can get very bad. But if the chicks have a safe place to go or they can physically separate themselves from the adults, they will normally do fine. It's not uncommon for a broody hen to wean her chicks at 4 to 5 weeks old. I had one last year that did it at 3-1/2 weeks. Those chicks got along in the flock, but they had room to get away from the adults.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
SuperChemicalGirl, I love your hen! Separating the chicks in the coop is no problem. I have a great setup. My husband made these gates out of chicken wire that I hook on the bottom of my coop. It creates a nice separate area where I keep broody hens or chicks. The chicks and hens see each other for a few months until the chicks can move on to layer feed. I've also had no problems integrating them into the flock.

Now, I'm concerned about the speckled sussex's laying abilities. Five eggs total is not good enough for me. I want at least an average layer that doesn't go broody on me.

Keep the advise/ideas coming!

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner, your comment about "doing what's best" and "doing what you can" has me thinking. Are you implying that I should get the 4wk sussex now? and the slw later? You do know what answer I want to hear. ;):lol:

Mary

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Stubbornhillfarm, are your sussex's good layers? Are the eggs medium or a good size?

Mary
Mary,
I have 2 more speckled sussex hens that were born 1 January and just started laying a few weeks ago. I'm still getting pullet eggs from them, but they're laying decently well, 4-5 eggs a week but it is early in their career. I think Hoppy is an anomaly, she didn't start laying until she was almost a year old, too. They're just beautiful to look at, I get compliments on them from everyone who visits, they all want to know what breed she is and if I sell them.

Didn't mean to scare you, but she's a *terrible* layer.

We have a speckled sussex rooster too, so if you wanted eggs (not from Hoppy) to hatch your own later...