want to plant two dwarf apple trees

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've been trying to research, at the library since my home computer caught a virus, so I have limited time. I am in zone 6 not far from zone 5 in eastern CT. I don't have a lot of space but I do have one spot where I believe I have room to plant two dwarf apple trees. I've read conflicting stuff, but I believe it is not too late to plant them here, in fact better than in the heat of summer? I've also read I should choose later fruiting varieties because of our colder winters. Couldn't tell you my source to varify that though. I visited the Stark Bros. site and they recommend varieties to cross pollinate with. I'm thinking of Cortland and Honeygold. I'd love to get one eating apple and one baking apple. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

CottageGardener123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have two dwarf apple trees. I would recomend planting them in autumn. If they are bought when they are too young they have to mature at least 3 years so I highly recomend buying the biggest you can find. Good luck on your apple trees! Happy Gardening! :)

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
CottageGardener123 said:
I have two dwarf apple trees. I would recomend planting them in autumn. If they are bought when they are too young they have to mature at least 3 years so I highly recomend buying the biggest you can find. Good luck on your apple trees! Happy Gardening! :)
Thanks! I'll be checking the local nurseries to see what they have next week!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep, you can plant them now or in March/April, your choice. Don't feed them at all the first year, let them develop roots and give 'em a spritz of dormant oil for the winter. There are summer varieties that will work up here though. There is probably an apple variety for everywhere, all things considered, it's just that some are harder to find. Personally I like the antique varieties, but those are expensive and hard to find.

It depends on how much time you have and your pruning skills. If you want to grow lots of varieties in a very small space, you can train them as cordons (basically, one loooong spike with no real branches) or espaliers.

Very important: Keep deer away! Deer love apples and apple trees and apple branches and apple bark...

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Yep, you can plant them now or in March/April, your choice. Don't feed them at all the first year, let them develop roots and give 'em a spritz of dormant oil for the winter. There are summer varieties that will work up here though. There is probably an apple variety for everywhere, all things considered, it's just that some are harder to find. Personally I like the antique varieties, but those are expensive and hard to find.

It depends on how much time you have and your pruning skills. If you want to grow lots of varieties in a very small space, you can train them as cordons (basically, one loooong spike with no real branches) or espaliers.

Very important: Keep deer away! Deer love apples and apple trees and apple branches and apple bark...
Thanks Rosalind! (Got my first welsummer egg yesterday-finally!! Just had to share that!)
Anyway, we've had a deer in our fenced yard once in 19 years. We have three dogs who use the perimeter as their potty and that seems to keep them away! We're lucky. They're all over the place around here. I know they can jump the fence if they want to. Hopefully apple trees won't attract them!