Want to Start an Herb Garden

Iona's Orchard

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a bad digestion which has led to several different (unfortunate) problems. I really want to start an herb garden to help deal with this. Any tips, links, book ideas, etc. would be really helpful.
One question is about peppermint; what exactly does it help? Do you have to use it a certain way (say, oil form) for it to work? Do you have to get a certain type of peppermint? And then the basics; how, when, where to grow it.
As you can see, all I know is that herbs are helpful - beyond that I'm lost. :rolleyes:

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Grow-Your-Own-Drugs-Remedies/dp/B003XU7VO2
http://www.amazon.com/Rosemary-Glad...p/1612120059/ref=rec_dp_0/181-8331159-1954616

Are there any natural herb shops in your area, or homeopathic practitioners? Herbalists?

Some Herbalists will meet with you and make up an herbal formula specific to your needs. Then you'd know what to grow, and could learn how to process it. I'd try to find someone to talk to and learn from. Books are all well and good, but practical experience and advice on call would be pretty helpful.

RE: Peppermint. Grow it in a big pot, in the sun. Snip leaves and stems, and make tea with them either fresh or dried. Drink tea. I don't think you can OD on it. I'd get plants called "peppermint" or "spearmint" or "cuban (mojito) mint", but avoid the flavored mints (chocolate mint, pineapple mint). They'll hybridize somehow (rhizomes?), so I'd stick to one variety.

In the meantime, most peppermint teas in boxes/bags are just crushed dried peppermint leaves. You could try a bit and see if it accomplishes what you're after.

http://www.motherearthliving.com/health-and-wellness/digestive-herbs-zm0z12amzdeb.aspx
Try that link for specific "digestion herbs". :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fennel seed is excellent for upset stomach and poor digestion. Just chewing on a couple will settle your tummy quickly.

Pure theraputic grade essential oils would also be a great way to go if you want to get right to it, rather than growing an herb garden...(powerful stuff, only takes a drop or so and you must study up on what you will be using). They can be pricey, but since it takes so little, they last a very long time if kept out of sunlight and room temp or cooler.

Here is one company I know of that has the good stuff (you don't want to use the cheap oils from the health food store, they are not for ingesting or directly inhaling and may have impurities). Do Terra essential oils. I'm sure there are others to be found...just make sure it's theraputic grade.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Fennel seed is excellent for upset stomach and poor digestion. Just chewing on a couple will settle your tummy quickly.

Pure theraputic grade essential oils would also be a great way to go if you want to get right to it, rather than growing an herb garden...(powerful stuff, only takes a drop or so and you must study up on what you will be using). They can be pricey, but since it takes so little, they last a very long time if kept out of sunlight and room temp or cooler.

Here is one company I know of that has the good stuff (you don't want to use the cheap oils from the health food store, they are not for ingesting or directly inhaling and may have impurities). Do Terra essential oils. I'm sure there are others to be found...just make sure it's theraputic grade.
Fenel seed is very helpful if your stomach tends to bloat with gas.If growing your own is your thing the mints all thrive with lots of water They do very well at the edges of ponds or streams and will even do well in swampy areas. Fennel needs ordinary garden care (good well drained soil and regular watering).

jhon

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi everyone
No doubt herbs have a list of benefits . Growing herb garden is not a big deal . All you need is a place where sunshine is good , fertile soil and plants . You can easily buy hebs plant from any nursery .

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eh... If your growing mint make sure you grow it in a pot. I personally would avoid Cuban or Mexican climbing mints as they are listed as an invasive species. Mint by itself is pretty invasive as once you plant it in the ground, you will probably never get rid of it:old

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi AMKuska :frow.

I have one mint that the winters seem to keep under control. It may be where I am keeping this Chocolate mint. It gets very little sunlight during the growing season - wet shade from buildings.

The plants grow well thru the summers then die back to 1 or 2 roots each winter. I kind of like it being under control like that but it surprises me.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, Chocolate mint is not (supposed to be) hardy in zone 5. That's why you don't have them running rampant. You must have a mini-climate area where yours are planted that's just warm enough to keep them from freezing out entirely.

I just may give them another try. If they survive and thrive in your zone 5, why not mine?