Wanted- Natural Cotton

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi everyone - hummingbird season will be here soon, and I am looking for some natural/heirloom cotton perhaps so I can put it out as nesting material for our little friends. Does anyone have some they're willing to barter for?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi everyone - hummingbird season will be here soon, and I am looking for some natural/heirloom cotton perhaps so I can put it out as nesting material for our little friends. Does anyone have some they're willing to barter for?

hmm, no such thing like that here, but i wonder if they'd use hair clippings too or instead?

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Its illegal to grow cotton in Alabama without the proper forms. That’s why seed companies won’t ship cotton seed here. This is because of ongoing attempts to eradicate the Boll weevil in our and neighboring states. I’m not sure but I may also be illegal to ship seeds to anyone in our state who doesn’t have the permit.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
My immediate thought was quilting batting. Warm and Natural.
Darn it: 12% Polypropylene, Cotton Blend

Edit to add: Other battings are 100% cotton.
  • 100% cotton batting for quilting has a stabilizing scrim binder, so stitching can be spaced up to 8"-10" apart, by Pellon. I can look thru my stash, but I'd have to make sure it has a label on it to confirm 100% cotton.

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Artichoke Lover - I'll have to check. I was hoping to potentially barter and maybe help someone else out here, but I will have a look next time we go to one of the stores in a few weeks.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its illegal to grow cotton in Alabama without the proper forms. That’s why seed companies won’t ship cotton seed here. This is because of ongoing attempts to eradicate the Boll weevil in our and neighboring states. I’m not sure but I may also be illegal to ship seeds to anyone in our state who doesn’t have the permit.
Darn I thought it was because of gun cotton. Stupid bugs again. Figures. We have more than our share already.