Was I Disrespectful To Client

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This week I have been disappointed in people and have little patience. I have a client who has been coming to me for about 5 years. She lives next door to my friend Dana's mother in a mufti million dollar home. She once told me when her son and his family wanted to move away, she bought them a house so they would stay. With me she is a penny pincher I already give her a senior citizen discount. She has a appointment tomorrow. This am I get a email asking if she bathes dog at home before bring him for grooming how much would I take off grooming price. My reply was $1.25 unless she was having financial hardship then call me. Her reply was nothing wrong with tiring to save money , I am being a smart ass. Should I apologize or just wait and see if she keeps her appointment.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Well... maybe she will get the hint! Not likely. But then she did say she was just pinching pennies. Did she sound offended when she replied? If not let it go. If she cancels you can always apologize and ask her to come back then.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wealthy penny pinchers are the worst! I guess that's how they got wealthy, not paying full price for anything.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What's wrong with being a smart @$$? I thought your reply was funny!

I would wait and see if she brings her dog in and treat the subject lightly. But that's me, not known for my diplomacy.

My experience with most, not all, super wealthy people is that they are happy to throw money around when it benefits them, but tight-fisted when it comes to others. Especially plebeian service people.

I have to add this, after saying that, that a few of my current clients who fit in that category are sweet people and treat me like an equal.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
NYboy... your business is a service business. In business, the customer is always right. Since your business is dependent on customers it is always in a business owner's best interest to keep the customer happy so that they continue to do business with you and to refer their friends to you since they are happy to do business with you. So , sit down and think about this tennet and do what you think is best for you.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the same line of business is business, I would just stick with the Senior discount and no other discounts. In my business, I have the same fee even for siblings. There is no sibling discount. I find that there will always be people who can pay your rates. Stick to them. I wouldn't even apologize. She may have more respect for you because you stood up to her.

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When a client says jump my reply is how high.I do believe client is always right. But I just got fed up with her tiring to squeeze every nickel out of me.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would tell her that you know that she has a very high level of expectation for the appearance and health of her dog which is obvious since she is bringing it to a professional groomer. Because of that, you can not risk your reputation to the use of substandard products, techniques or tools and that you will be re-bathing the dog so that it's coat is properly prepared for the rest of it's grooming.

... might even have to charge more for the soothing oatmeal shampoo you will have to use to keep the coat and skin from being dried out with all that extra bathing....

Latest posts