washer - top load or front load?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a top loader AND a front loader. :thumbsup

The top loader is in the utility room and the washing machine leaks. I stand by with mop and bucket while machine is washing, mopping like a woman possessed by Mr. Clean. I refuse to spend money to fix it and pay more than it is worth.

I have a brand new Samsung front load washer and dryer with a stacking kit waiting for me at Lowes in Tyler. We bought the set on sale not too long after we started all this house buying business. It will be delivered after we rip up floors, paint and install new floors. By stacking it, there will be room for my upright freezer.

Do I like my new washer and dryer? Why, yes I do-it isn't worn out and leaking. Can't wait to use it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
the banner ad to the right is stalking me with a Lowes Whirlpool dishwasher. What's up with that? Hey stupid ad! We are talking about WASHING MACHINES AND DRYERS! :barnie If you're going to stalk me, get it right!!:tongue

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my washer died last year I thought I really reeeelly wanted a front loader. Mom loved hers. Unfortunately my budget didn't expand far enough and I got a Whirlpool Cabrio top loader. It doesn't have an agitator and senses the load and adds water accordingly. It supposedly uses a whole lot less water than the old style. Like lots less. I don't remember exactly but about 50%?
It gets the clothes clean so that's what matters I guess, and I can still add that maverick sock that strayed, but you have to wait for the machine to decide to unlock the lid which can take forever when you're in a hurry.

I got it from the Big Blue Box. it was on sale and was the cheapest good washer. Plus I saved an extra 5% by getting sucked in to their credit card. Payed it off the same day and haven't used the card since. But I came in at my $500 budget amount.

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is something to consider, maintenance wise ... with the old style machine, if one of the hose line springs a leak, or the drain line gets dislodged, all you have to do is reach over the machine and shut the water line off or re-position the drain line into the house drain line. Now try doing that with the new and "improved" washing machine with the bottom drawer feature or you will have to contend with the overhead cabinets or shelves which makes it next to impossible to reach over. You will have to pull the washing machine all the way out and/ or beyond the dryer and hope that the hoses are long enough to let you do so. Other wise you will have to start with the dryer ... Oh , that thing is attached by the air vent and a 220 v electric plug or a gas line that is too short. Those babies are not exactly lightweights so if you can't do it NOW , you will have to call a repair man who charges a trip call $$$s plus more $$$s just to shut off the water faucet or just reposition the drain line, and how long will it take for the repair man to get to your house who shuts off the water faucets ? Then there is the probable water damage to your walls and / or floor. Also, you get the pleasure to paying EXTRA for a cheap shelf. GREAT design don't you think and in whose' favor ? :eek: We bought the cheapest top load Admiral on sale which is only $10 more than what it would have cost to repair the old wash machine with all of the bells and whistles which we only used 2 or 3 times . Too, this brand new wash machine was cheaper than any new wash machine or even any used one that we saw. :thumbsup Another tip, when your dishwasher springs a leak, or needs a new motor, etc. it is cheaper to buy a new one without all of the bells and whistles than to repair the existing one. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
nissanpivo.jpg

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have had only top washers. I don't care for the front loaders at all, as I had used them at a laundry mat when I moved out here to SC. Very easy for little kids to get into also, I would think.
I stick to my top loaders. Always a Kenmore series 90.... I am on my second one. This one is used. I guess Kenmore doesn't make them anymore.
MIL had given me her old whirlpool washer a few months ago. July I think. It leaked, then quit on me. So we dug my old kenmore back out (it has quit a few months earlier), and I researched what was wrong with it, and repaired it.
Good luck with shopping! You know, checking reviews on machines is a good idea these days. I was considering buying a new toploader, but changed my mind after reading reviews on the one MIL wanted to buy.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife fought against buying a front load. 3 years later, less water, less soap, clothes last longer and clothes are drier going into drier-saving more electric. Ours-I'm sure all the same-only uses enough water to clean the amount of clothes put into it. Before EVERY load, full tank of water-regardless of amount of clothes.

Latest posts