washer - top load or front load?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will be needing a new washer soon and a top-load is all I've ever used.
After checking prices online, it looks like I could get either one for about the same price.
I don't have anything special or difficult to wash here - clothes, sheets and towels, the occosional blanket or comforter. I can't imagine what people are washing that requires $4000 worth of equipment - but apparently there are alot of them out there..
So - what do you have?
What do you like about it?
What do you hate about it?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a front-loader. It takes a special "HE" detergent. You don't use much. I forget the brand and model. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go look. We used to have a top-loader until it crashed.

It does not use as much water as a top-loader. It doesn't seem to get out of balance as easily either. It can handle heavier stuff. Overall it's probably better for the environment because of less water and less detergent.

Once you start a load, it can be a pain to add or take out anything. With a top loader you just lift the lid. These don't work that way. I often see soap suds at the bottom of the door when the cycle is over. That may mean we are still adding too much soap but we put less soap than it calls for. it happens to my wife too so it's not just me. Makes me wonder how good a job it really does in getting the soap suds out but maybe it just shows more than the top loader. It has not caused any rashes and my wife has pretty delicate skin.

It's a Whirlpool Duet if that means anything. I'm really disappointed with the users manual. It shows certain codes to tell what caused a problem but the code for out-of-balance is not in the users manual. It doesn't give the procedure to correct the problem either. I called the Whirlpool help number and they gave me the information that I wrote in the book myself. Pitiful customer service. But that's Whirlpool, not whether it is a top loader or side loader.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have an LG front loader. My wife likes it because she's vertically challenged and hated feeling "off the ground" when removing things from the very bottom of the front loader. There were tines I had to get things out because they were so flat she couldn't reach them. But she was also pregnant at the time. She claims she's 5'3"....

The front loader handles everything. I like it well enough for a washing machine. I'd get another one if/when we need one.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have always had a top loader, and have no problem with it. I didn't want to have to buy a special detergent for a HE, so took pains to make sure we didn't get one a few years ago. Turned out it is a HE anyway. But I still use Purex powdered detergent in it. The HE ones have a reputation for stinking bad after a while, and then you have to buy a special cleaner to take the stink away. :barnie But if you leave the door open between washings, it is not supposed to stink.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They can stink because it's a water tight seal or you'd have a wet floor. You have to let them dry out if your not running loads for a while. We leave the door open off a while, it dries so no stink. But we can run a series of loads one after another without issue too.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a front loader and really like them, except for the issue already raised - tht you cant really add in that last item you forgot once the cycle starts. And you can't open that door 2 minutes early just cause you need to get to work and want to toss everything in the dryer!

As far as the smell, yes you will have an issue if you don't either leave the door open so it can get good and dry in there, or clean the rubber gaskets really well regularly. I've never bought anything special to clean mine, just applied elbow grease ;)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a General Electric front loader. One of my parents had a "connection" to GE and I was able to get a big discount. I also got the bottom drawer that is extra. It raises the machine so you don't have to bend over so much and also gives you extra storage. It has a pause botton so I can stop the cycle if I need to add an item that I forgot. I'm happy with it but it's just a washing machine.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have the old style -- not wringer washer old, but I did use one of those -- with top load washer and front load dryer.

When I got sick I dreamed of new front loaders on drawer/platforms. I couldn't reach into the washer to get the clothes out and I couldn't bend to get the clothes out of the dryer.

It is good to hear that so many of you have the front loaders. I expect that if I outlive my machines, I'll want the energy efficient front loaders built up high enough to reach easily. Don't really want all the bells and whistles, though. More to go wrong.

NOTE: Here's my new avatar. Gypsy took it today. Now that I've tossed the box of color, I'm really getting a lovely white.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, Smart Red!!

You know about the class action lawsuit against Whirlpool and the recent Supreme Court's decision?

They are letting stand the right of purchasers to sue over the mold problem. It was considered antibusiness by some but the court made their decision.

We have always had a top loader with the most recent ones made by .... whirlpool. This one must be nearly 15 years old. The dryer by same company is older but it gets a long summer vacation every year.

I don't know what more I could ask of the washer and should probably be left in the dark about any bells and whistles for the sake of my complacency
♪ ♫ ♬.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daughter is a chiropractor student and she thought the front loader would be bad for my back. The new ones have water saving models that are top loaders.

Latest posts