Watercress, not in salads?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, not watercress exactly--garden cress. It was bolting, I had to pick a big bunch at once. So far, I've been taking a LOT of cress salads for bag lunches, cress-and-cheese sandwiches, and today I'm going to try adding it to vichyssoise.

There is more cress out there. By the time it is done, I will have exactly two weeks between the last of the cress and the start of head lettuce + nasturtiums. But as of this weekend, I am out of cress recipes.

At least it's got lots of vitamins.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If it has bite like watercress you can make cress mayonnaise:

1 bunch of cress
1/4 c mayo
2 tbsp grainy mustard (Do not substitute other mustards)
salt & pepper

Dip cress into boiling water till bright, chop.
Mix all and chill.
So fantastic over steamed broccoli or cauliflower, or on fish.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh good! Thank you Sylvie!

I have fish. Lotsa fish in the freezer, going fishing again this weekend, "goes with fish" is good.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Rosalind :frow

It's great in a lasagna! I make a lovely vegetarian one with grilled vegetables & what we call American Cress or Land Cress. I quickly blanch the cress before I chop it up a bit (that helps keep the colour as well as soften it a bit). Layer in the veg & cress layers with the bechemel sauce. I always put rather more cheese in this kind of lasagne than a meat one. Sometimes, if I have cooked a piece of ham or boiling bacon & have some leftovers I chop some of that up & add it to the vegetables. The lasagne freezes well. :frow

The other thing make with the cress is to top large open mushrooms with chopped blanched cress & cream cheese. Chop up the mushroom stalks,blanched cress, fresh thyme & parsley & mix with cream cheese; pile this into large open mushrooms & either put them into the oven or grill. You can also chop a hot pepper onto it if you like it very hot. It's a really fast meal to fix after a day in the garden & it's great with crusty bread or if you are feeling really naughty fry a thick slice of bread in olive oil & put the mushrooms on top -- This is great if you are camping out in the wilds! Oh!-- memories.......!!! :lol:

Hope these help to use up your green glut! Have a great weekend :rainbow-sun

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love it on a very crusty sour doughbread with lots of Irish butter and fresh tomato slices ...really good in a sandwich!!! forget the lettuce use the cress!!!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grilled cress-stuffed mushrooms, sounds like a perfect appetizer for Memorial Day this weekend! Excellent! Thank you!!!

Veggie lasagna, I think I have a similar recipe but involving spinach, but I will try substituting cress for some of the spinach. Any recipes that freeze well are awesome--we freeze a lot of stuff in single-serving portions here, great for unexpected long workdays.

HiDelight, do you bake your own sourdough? My sourdough culture croaked (maybe because I forgot about it for a couple of weeks...oops...), it will be a while before I can get a new starter going. Do you know of a quickie way to make sourdough starter?

Latest posts