Watermelon help

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I wasn't happy with the plants I had in the ground, so yesterday i dug everything up and built one foot wide by twelve foot long boxes open on bottom. I used 2x6's.

I replanted the plants and today they are standing tall and look happy. Has anyone ever tried growing watermelons in riased planters or low ones like this. I found it easy to water with trenches on either side and one mound in middle with plants on top. Hope this makes sense.

Will I have melons or have I just create more busy work for myself. Oh and this morning I use a very heavy staple gun and put balck plastic over the boxes, with cut our around plants.

Dilly Girl

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We grow our melons in raised hills, that I guess are similar to your raised beds situation. We till a bunch of compost into each hill and we never have any issues.

I'm sure they'll be fine. Just make sure they have plenty of water, sunshine and compost.

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you I think since they grow so slowly at first I am just impatient. I want to see more growth. Everything else is doing very well.

Dilly

Latest posts