watermelon issues

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I haven't been able to get any of my watermelon vines to grow this year. They all start and then just fail. I was once told by someone who grew up in Kentucky to put a table spoon of mayonnaise in the ground next to the stalk. I haven't done this with any of these only because they seemed too weak to try really. Is it my seeds or could it be something else? Thanks!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum!

Well there could be a number of issues that are causing your watermelon issues.

Could you better describe what's happening? Do they get a certain size then just die? Does the fruit fall/rot? Any sign of pests or disease?

I would assume that in Southern California (I spent my teenage years in Orange County) that the watermelons would be thriving. My grandmothers' watermelons are usually huge by now and starting to fruit.

I've never heard of the mayonnaise thing, but am curious to find out more.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello, Suess, it's good to see you here! :)

I've never heard of mayonnaise, either, but it most likely had some merit to it somewhere. Do you know anything more of the reason behind it?

I'm also originally from Southern California, and while I know that you guys had a little bit of cooler weather than usual for a while, I don't imagine that it was enough to cause a major problem. Unless you are in an odd microclimate?

OaklandCityFarmer asked the relevent questions; I'll be interested in hearing the details. :)

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The plants are getting about 1-2 inches then just stopping. They remain green but never grow beyond that. Another one grew, but never pushed through the ground. I found it when I decided to turn that portion of the garden again.
I bought new seeds to see if maybe I just got sold an old pack, or something was just off with those.
As for the mayo thing, I did it once and it seemed to help. No idea as to why, and as I remember the person that told me didn't know either, just that it always worked. Everytime I plant them I don't put it in, I wait until they have been growing about 2 weeks then do it....I then get a sudden growth out of them.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The only thing that really comes to mind for me is that it may either be nematodes or a soil borne fungus or bacteria.

For nematodes, you can purchase commercially available beneficial nematodes. Also planting marigolds around plants helps keep them away. For a faster solution you should try a marigold shake, just puree marigold leaves and flowers in a blender with some hot water and garlic and spray around the base of the plants, soaking the soil.

For soil borne fungus or bacterias you could use a broad spectrum fungicide like sulfur might help. It would be best if you could identify what's causing the problem but this may help.

If it's not either of these 2 issues than it just may be location, soil drainage, lack of nutrients, or a variety of other situation. Have you grown anything there in the past?

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Everything in the garden is new. We bought the house 2 years ago and I had huge plans....then was pregnant with my first trimester in the heat of the summer (no planting). Then I wanted to start it last year but we had huge fence issues--one that needed to go up to keep the dogs out who like to taste test everything, and then the fence with our neighbor fell down. This year I got in there. Everything else seems to be doing fine around it, Pumpkins, Summer squash, cantelope. That is why I was thinking maybe it was the seeds.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It possibly could be the seeds or a soil borne fungus, or both.

Many soil borne fungi attack seeds at first and establish themselves in the plant so it really becomes too late once the plant grows up.

I am somewhat inclined to recommend you get some transplants from a local nursery. I think Buckard in Pasadena has a good selection but is somewhat overwhelming. There is also Bellefontaine which has an excellent staff although a smaller variety of plants. You might be able to take your plant there and they may be able to identify the problem for you.

Good luck!

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Burkards and I use to get along. Everything I have brought from there except one berry bush has died! ARG!
However, I grew up going to Bellfontaine so maybe I will drive down there this week and see what I can find.
I am also waiting to see how these new seeds do. I think I may have used last years seeds first. Then I had another pack I thought was the same (realized later I had two). But I just bought a fresh packet on Saturday. I tilled the ground first and did two different spots to see if I get a different reaction this time. :fl

Latest posts