We ate bean leaves for dinner

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever eaten bean leaves? They turned out a little like spinach the stem needs to be removed, we had them with a little soy sauce and garlic, cooked in a fry pan. Our chickens love the pole and bush bean leaves along with our corn stalk leaves.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No, I can honestly say that I never have. Sprouts, yes; leaves, no. How interesting!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's interesting! Never tried it. Pea tendrils are fairly good -- although I must confess I've only ever had 'em from chinese grocery stores, as I have seldom grown peas. The terminal 2" or so of new growth, with the little curly bits attached. Mmm in stirfry :)

Pat

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
that is odd because they are toxic to a lot of animals. I did break down and eat one of the seed pods off a radish the other day and it was pretty good.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes, be sure to eat your leafy greens daily. Yum, Yum. :D Working on beet greens here. DS uses them on his sandwiches just like lettuce, which is great since,:mad: although I've been growing lettuce since April, I've not yet been able to harvest any for us to eat. Darn finches!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food, there are varieties of radishes, very old varieties, which are grown specifically for their pods, not their roots at all.

Munchen Bier is the best of these. Most of the pods are juicier, and a bit milder than radish roots. :)

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have bean growing beans for a loooooong time and I have never heard of eating the leaves. :/ What type of bean was it?

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Read Backyard Buddies link I found it very interesting, we have both pole and bush beans I believe they were the pole she used, they were the young leaves that had exposure to the sun she removed the stem, and prepared them as a stir fry. It is common in many countries but pretty much unheard of here in the states.

Latest posts