We did some canning

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yesterday. 5 quarts of salsa and 8 pints of pickled okra, one burned hand, one cut thumb - the fun we had - priceless! :D

HPIM1995.jpg

18 tomato plants have produced almost 300 tomatoes! We picked a five gallon bucket yesterday and there are still plenty more on the vines. The okra is a big success also.

Next time I will do the water bath outside on my propane burner. The house got so hot yesterday and the air ran for 7 hours straight - not to mention it was 97 degrees yesterday!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm really debating getting a turkey burner to use to can on. It is not as convenient as my stovetop but it is looking better the more I think about it. I've figured out how to keep the dogs away and there are a few surfaces that could be "table tops". I could even plug into my main propane tank with practically no problems. The concrete pad for a level surface is already there. I guess I'm about the only thing stopping me.

You are ahead of me on canning, but it won't be that long. It is a great feeling to get that done, isn't it?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Excellent! I burned my finger really bad, too! I cannot recommend the turkey fryer idea, enough- give it a try, you will love it!

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Awesome! It is a great feeling getting it done and putting food up for future use. I've also started canning, doing it every weekend now... :)

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
yesterday. 5 quarts of salsa and 8 pints of pickled okra, one burned hand, one cut thumb - the fun we had - priceless! :D

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z75/joanm_2007/HPIM1995.jpg

18 tomato plants have produced almost 300 tomatoes! We picked a five gallon bucket yesterday and there are still plenty more on the vines. The okra is a big success also.

Next time I will do the water bath outside on my propane burner. The house got so hot yesterday and the air ran for 7 hours straight - not to mention it was 97 degrees yesterday!
I canned snap beans yesterday and it was 93 here in Virginia. You're right about the AC non-stop. I think next time I'll close off the kitchen and open two windows. One for the fan to blow out, and the other for fresh air to come in. At least that will reduce the humidity. That will keep flies out too if they're a problem where you live.

Beautiful tomatoes by the way! I was given some dehydrated okra to try a couple days ago. It was great! I went out today and bought six okra plants!

Latest posts