'We Speak for the Bees': Marchers Urge EU-Wide Ban of Killer Pesticide

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
hoodat said:
I can never have too many wasps in my garden. The tiny ones are excellent predators on aphis, white fly and scale. The diggers keep my population of cutworms in check and just when cabbage worms get to be a problem, yelowjackets to the rescue. They gobble them like candy.
I once had a UPS man call me and ask me to come to the curb to get my package. He wouldn't deliver to my door because I have a red wasp nest right over it but I've never been stung by them.
The last time I remember being stung was years ago when I was going out a door at the same time as a wasp was coming in and we had a head on collision. :/
I'll send you and Ladyhawke1 as many as you want.
Now that is funny!!! Now to find someone who likes ground hogs and skunks....

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
thistlebloom said:
hoodat said:
I can never have too many wasps in my garden. The tiny ones are excellent predators on aphis, white fly and scale. The diggers keep my population of cutworms in check and just when cabbage worms get to be a problem, yelowjackets to the rescue. They gobble them like candy.
I once had a UPS man call me and ask me to come to the curb to get my package. He wouldn't deliver to my door because I have a red wasp nest right over it but I've never been stung by them.
The last time I remember being stung was years ago when I was going out a door at the same time as a wasp was coming in and we had a head on collision. :/
NOW SEEDCORN....all god's creatures is loved.

http://bussongs.com/songs/gods-creatures-place-choir.php

All God's creatures have a place in the choir,
Some sing low, some sing higher,
Some sing out loud on the telephone wire,
Some just clap their hands, or paws, or anything theyve got now!

Listen to the bass it's the one on the bottom
Where the bullfrog croaks, the hippopotamus
Moans and groans with a big to-do,
The old cow just goes "Moo!"

The dogs and the cats they take up the middle
As the honey bee hums, the cricket fiddles
The donkey brays and the pony neighs
The old grey badger sighs

some sing low, some sing higher,

Listen to the top and the little birds singing
The melody with the high notes ringin'
The good owl sighs over everything,
The blackbird disagrees.

Singin' in the night time, singin' in the day
Little duck quacks and he's on his way
And the otter hasnt got that much to say
The porqupine talks to himself.

some sing low, some sing higher,

Its a simple song a living song everywhere
By the ox the fox and the grizzly bear
The grumpy alligator and the hawk above
The sly old weasel and turtle dove

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
thistlebloom said:
hoodat said:
As a matter of fact I do like skunks ever since I had a pet albino skunk I found abandoned by his mama.Both gentle and playful and, oddly enough, even wild skunks like to be around humans. If you can read skunk body language you will never get sprayed. They always give plenty of warning and try not to use their secret weapon if they can help it. I can speak softly to a wild skunk and not make any sudden moves and they will let me get within 8 or 10 feet before they warn me that's close enough. I worked night shift at a factory in Oklahoma and skunks would wander in now and then to see if anyone left part of their lunch. They always called me to shoo them out. Everyone else would get all exited and start throwing things and that is definitely NOT the right way if you don't want to smell skunk the rest of your shift.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hood at, don't mind skunks except they eat my eggs and chickens if they can. Last family destroyed my sweet corn patch. Leave me alone, I'll leave them alone. I realize they are decent mousers.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
seedcorn said:
thistlebloom said:
As a matter of fact I do like skunks ever since I had a pet albino skunk I found abandoned by his mama.Both gentle and playful and, oddly enough, even wild skunks like to be around humans. If you can read skunk body language you will never get sprayed. They always give plenty of warning and try not to use their secret weapon if they can help it. I can speak softly to a wild skunk and not make any sudden moves and they will let me get within 8 or 10 feet before they warn me that's close enough. I worked night shift at a factory in Oklahoma and skunks would wander in now and then to see if anyone left part of their lunch. They always called me to shoo them out. Everyone else would get all exited and start throwing things and that is definitely NOT the right way if you don't want to smell skunk the rest of your shift.
Hoodat, I too have a wonderful encounter or story about a skunk. I will not tell it here for others to mock. We had our trusty dog with us and we were fishing in Utah. I have found out that skunks are one of the most civil of creatures. Their manners are impeccable, that is if you show them respect. All creatures recognize respect. Respect is a studied understanding of anothers boundaries. In short, that means educating yourself about the natural world. Those that bluster their way through nature will find that nature will always win and level the playing field.

As for having problems with the eggs and suchit is a matter of having a more secured coop. One has to think like a critter in order to build a protected structure for ones livestock.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I lived in my Oklahoma cabin my door stayed open most of the time. I was visited often by wild critters. One skunk came by every evening for a chocolate chip cookie. If I offered him any other kind he'd act insulted and stalk out.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMG Hoodat! That is too funny... I am still waiting for the book full of your amazing adventures, to come out!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Portland, Ore. TV news have been showing s w a r m s of bees in backyards for the past week. Some " intersting" comments by the reporterets too. :bee

Latest posts